32amp Commando Socket Problem.

Biggles

Featured Posts

49 minutes ago, Keith M said:

A very odd colour code is being used for a single phase installation.

Both Black and Grey are live or line conductors in a three-phase installation 

The earth cable should be Green and Yellow.

Ferrules should be used on multi-strand cables.

Yes. Needs some sleeving on those cables at the very least. Looks like black is being used for both live and neutral either side of the switch. 

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Are you sure that at the other end, grey is connected to earth and black to neutral? And that the central connection on the socket is for earth? I know you say it is, but the most likely scenario is a live neutral swap somewhere. Double check EXPECTING it to be wrong, not confirming that it’s right!

I said “live neutral swap” but of course I meant “neutral earth swap”. Time limits for editing seem very short these days.

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I said “live neutral swap” but of course I meant “neutral earth swap”. Time limits for editing seem very short these days.

I reported it for you. Perhaps a mod could edit it for you. 

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Done it for you - yes editing time is short and also variable apparently. I can't change that but can change members posts if asked 

16 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Done it for you - yes editing time is short and also variable apparently. I can't change that but can change members posts if asked 

It won't be variable, but I can ask @RichM to confirm the window within which members can edit their own post and if this has changed recently, as well as the timeframe with which consecutive posts are merged. 

21 hours ago, Keith M said:

A very odd colour code is being used for a single phase installation.

Both Black and Grey are live or line conductors in a three-phase installation 

The earth cable should be Green and Yellow.

Ferrules should be used on multi-strand cables.

New colour three phase cable isn't it. The equiv of using Red, Blue, Yellow for Live, Neutral and Earth rather than L1, L2, L3. 

However I also agree that some sleeving or atleast tape would be good. 

Daniel

harmonised.jpg

22 hours ago, Biggles said:

I've checked it and it is definitely connected each end Brown +ve to the MCB, Black to -ve and Grey to earth. Also checked the terminal marking on the back of the socket and that everything is going through the switch correctly. 20181230_135627.jpg.133476ec4bd19c571eb6f1bdc82b4ea9.jpg

I presume you mean

Brown : Live

Black : Neutral

Grey : Earth

Also agree something needs doing about the missing knockout.

One thing I have seen that causes this issue is if you have inadvertently connected the neutral to the wrong neutral bus at the CU assuming it’s a split load CU. 

I can’t quite get my head round your wiring at the switch/socket end. have you reversed the L/N connections ? some consistency of colours and or correctly coloured sleeving would help (use some insulting tape if nothing else)

finally you clearly have a standard PME installation where the E/N are the same conductor into your house saving the local network provider having to run a separate earth from the substation. This does mean that a break in the neutral can result in a high local earth voltage (to real earth) to mitigate the neutral is earthed at multiple points by the network provider. I would be wary of providing a local earth spike as you could end up taking all your or neighbours neutral currents through your earth rod

and as others have said won’t fix your problem anyway....  there is no problem with your earthing (save any bonding issues covered by previous posters)

Edited by jonathanA

45 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

One thing I have seen that causes this issue is if you have inadvertently connected the neutral to the wrong neutral bus at the CU assuming it’s a split load CU. 

Good call :)