Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Pete of Ebor

Issues around Leeds ?

Featured Posts

Looking to plan next year's trip, and we've settled on hiring form Shire Cruisers and running down towards Leeds from Barnoldswick and back. Shire seem to suggest winding near Rodley but we really want to go all the way down to Leeds. It would probably be a Monday afternoon run down to Leeds from Rodley and Tuesday morning back. Are there any issues with an aftenoon/ early evening run into Leeds ? I recall some years back that advice was to make that passage in the morning to avoid issues. What's that area like now ?

We've done that stretch many times with no trouble; the locks in the 'problem' area (Newlay/Kirkstall) are manned anyway, and locked outside of hours, so you'll be seen safely through. We have walked past those Kirskstall locks in the early evening and seen them full of teenagers swimming etc., so the reputation does seem to somewhat deserved, but like I say it's always been fine when the lockies have taken us through during the day. 

The towpath between Kirkstall and Leeds, which I guess is where you'll be by the evening, is very popular with walkers, runners and cyclists; not the sort of 'no-man's-land' where I'd expect trouble.

It is a pretty 'nothingy' stretch, though, to be fair; I can see why Shire Cruisers assume people will just linger and enjoy the more scenic bits.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, John Wareing said:

I remember us doing a one-way from Sowerby Bridge to the BW yard at Rose Grove in Burnley about 15/16 years ago - very enjoyable.

We did the reverse direction in 1990 - including diversions to Blackburn and Huddersfield - all in a week.