Issues around Leeds ?

Pete of Ebor

Featured Posts

Looking to plan next year's trip, and we've settled on hiring form Shire Cruisers and running down towards Leeds from Barnoldswick and back. Shire seem to suggest winding near Rodley but we really want to go all the way down to Leeds. It would probably be a Monday afternoon run down to Leeds from Rodley and Tuesday morning back. Are there any issues with an aftenoon/ early evening run into Leeds ? I recall some years back that advice was to make that passage in the morning to avoid issues. What's that area like now ?

We've done that stretch many times with no trouble; the locks in the 'problem' area (Newlay/Kirkstall) are manned anyway, and locked outside of hours, so you'll be seen safely through. We have walked past those Kirskstall locks in the early evening and seen them full of teenagers swimming etc., so the reputation does seem to somewhat deserved, but like I say it's always been fine when the lockies have taken us through during the day. 

The towpath between Kirkstall and Leeds, which I guess is where you'll be by the evening, is very popular with walkers, runners and cyclists; not the sort of 'no-man's-land' where I'd expect trouble.

It is a pretty 'nothingy' stretch, though, to be fair; I can see why Shire Cruisers assume people will just linger and enjoy the more scenic bits.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, John Wareing said:

I remember us doing a one-way from Sowerby Bridge to the BW yard at Rose Grove in Burnley about 15/16 years ago - very enjoyable.

We did the reverse direction in 1990 - including diversions to Blackburn and Huddersfield - all in a week.

• 2 months later...

We did look at the one way trips but they were already booked up. Shire don't do Sowerby Bridge to Burnley any more. That was out second trip way back in 1993. As for this year, we've decided to give Leeds a miss so we can spend more time in Keighley, but as the KWVR is not running, we might have to console ourselves in The Boltmakers instead.

On 14/11/2018 at 13:19, John Wareing said:

We had two teenage boys on board who wanted to spend some time in Leeds and we also had a lengthy stop at Saltaire. i remember Barry at the 5 rise telling us we were behind time for the one-way trip but we made it in plenty of time.

If you are planning to go down on Monday PM and return on Tuesday am you won't have much time to spend in Leeds. Stop at Rodley and catch a bus into town which would be much quicker, and give you a little more time to spend in Leeds

Howard

You would have to go through down to Leeds before 4 pm, may e earlier if they don't know you're coming. The manned locks as above. 

Leeds you can Moor at Granary Wharf it's right against the train station and busy /noisy. Or at Leeds Dock (moori g there an unknown quantity to me) it's further down 1 lock. This is Leeds lock it's a right pain to get on /off your boat. 

Personally I'd do what Susan and Nigel suggest... I'd Moor outside The Barge. 

Hth

On 14/11/2018 at 13:19, John Wareing said:

We had two teenage boys on board who wanted to spend some time in Leeds and we also had a lengthy stop at Saltaire. i remember Barry at the 5 rise telling us we were behind time for the one-way trip but we made it in plenty of time.

Saltaire was originaly built with no pub and indeed it was thus until very recently.