Dawncraft painting

Craigw

Featured Posts

Hi all, looking to repaint my dawncraft whilst it’s out of the water. I’ve looked around and it seems people think it’s best not to start sanding it all down and start again. Is this the case? I was thinking i might sand any rough areas or flaking and then add a fresh layer of paint over it all. Can anyone recommend any paint brands? 

Many thanks

craig

2 hours ago, Robbo said:

YouTuber Sail Life has recently been painting his GPR boat that he is happy with the finish, I can’t remember what he used but it will be in one of his recent videos.

Loved the video up until the sticker advert bit, thanks for posting.

Sigma cover.

Edited by rusty69
Sigma cover, not West

Our GRP boat topsides were professionally painted 3 years ago using International 'Toplac', it has not lasted well at all. Had a guy out last week from another boat painting company who says that the 2-pack Jotun is the way to go, and, if it can be done under-cover, use a spray gun. Just awaiting a quote.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Our GRP boat topsides were professionally painted 3 years ago using International 'Toplac', it has not lasted well at all. Had a guy out last week from another boat painting company who says that the 2-pack Jotun is the way to go, and, if it can be done under-cover, use a spray gun. Just awaiting a quote.

What prep is required?

Just now, Robbo said:

It’s one of my favourite YouTube channels, probably because I’m refitting our my boat as well.

Looks like a lovely boat.I have subscribed (but don't want the stickers:))

I hope you are refitting yours to as high a standard in a nice shed like that!

Just now, rusty69 said:

Looks like a lovely boat.I have subscribed (but don't want the stickers:))

I hope you are refitting yours to as high a standard in a nice shed like that!

What/where the stickers bit - I probably missed it as it’s a few weeks old that vid.  He has plenty of vids, this his his second boat, the early episodes weren’t as well made, he now looks more comfortable and fluent in his presenting.

I’m hoping too, I don’t think mine will be as OCD as his tho!

1 minute ago, Robbo said:

What/where the stickers bit - I probably missed it as it’s a few weeks old that vid.  He has plenty of vids, this his his second boat, the early episodes weren’t as well made, he now looks more comfortable and fluent in his presenting.

I’m hoping too, I don’t think mine will be as OCD as his tho!

3:40 ish

Remember to use the correct paint for areas below the waterline, antifoul is usual with a bootline between  antifoul and top coat.

Interestingly when I was on the Broads a pal of mine had a trip boat, The Southern Comfort a mocked up paddle steamer. He and his partner dragged her out to repaint from top to bottom every year and each year they tried a different paint, it was like the quest for the Holy Grail

Phil 

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Loved the video up until the sticker advert bit, thanks for posting.

I’ve been following him for a while. Lovely guy. I just skip past all the ‘Patreon’ stuff (which he doesn’t do very often in fairness). 

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I’ve been following him for a while. Lovely guy. I just skip past all the ‘Patreon’ stuff (which he doesn’t do very often in fairness). 

And if you watch it enough you get to learn how to swear in Danish ? 

• Happy 1

On 06/10/2018 at 15:43, Craigw said:

Hi all, looking to repaint my dawncraft whilst it’s out of the water. I’ve looked around and it seems people think it’s best not to start sanding it all down and start again. Is this the case? I was thinking i might sand any rough areas or flaking and then add a fresh layer of paint over it all. Can anyone recommend any paint brands? 

Many thanks

craig

Looking to paint my Dawncraft (22) next year. I'm thinking of stripping off the existing paint back to the gelcoat (the paint is over the gelcoat) then uncoat and paint with Toplac. Probably do the anti-fouling too while it's out of the water.