Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Naughty Cal

Boating in Brittany

Featured Posts

Must say these roads are a pleasure to drive on. The miles are flying by.

 

Only another 300 miles to go. ETA: 9.20pm but we have just stopped for coffee so that will set back a little. 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Must say these roads are a pleasure to drive on. The miles are flying by.

I always find that too. I think it is because the signs show kilometres but my brain thinks miles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, philjw said:

I always find that too. I think it is because the signs show kilometres but my brain thinks miles.

Absolutely agree.

Worried about their 10 p.m.-ish arrival time - they'll miss dinner, never a good idea in France.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

We have used the motorways from Le Havre and Caen in the past, on Sundays, and it feels like you are on your own personal motorway.

My heart sinks when I come off the Eurotunnel at this side.

 

When we came off last month within an hour and a half we had hit five sections of roadworks and average speed cameras with a 50 mph limit on the m20,25 and 11.

 

People who come on holiday here must wonder what the heck they have come to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We quite regularly do the run from Calais to the Guipry area, since we are twinned with a town near there, and have found that the easiest way is the A16, A29, A13, A84 to Rennes, and then follow the Nantes signs.
Love driving in France and keep meaning to get a Tag. Will need when we take this over next year!

jbWnpm2.jpg

Friends were cruising in that area in July and had a wonderful time but did get caught out with a failed lock or bridge in Redon which caused them to take a slght diversion.
If you do go to Redon we can recommend the Patates et Campagnie restaurant on the Quai Jean Bart, which is where the public moorings are and the O'Shannon pub by the lock where the canal crosses the river, a short walk away.

Edited by Graham Davis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

are you planning to visit Lorient on the River Blavet?   My brother has just moved into his new house just off the north bank of the river near Hennebont.  Apparently there is one lockie covering 19 locks and he has to travel alongside you on the nearest road.  This summer on average there was less than one boat movement each day!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have called it a day at Renne about 30 miles short of Messac. A short hop tomorrow. 

 

The little yellow mini has done us proud today covering 570 miles with no complaints and averaging almost almost 70mpg along the way.

 

20181005_185449.jpg

 

20181005_193205.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have made it to Guipry/Messac and have just successfully negotiated the butchers, bakers and supermarket. 

 

Just sat at a lovely cafe in the market square having a coffee before we head off to the boatyard.

 

20181006_092943.jpg

 

20181006_083903.jpg

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the weather is OK for the moment. Have a great week. We tend to rate French towns and villages on the quality of their boulangeries, it would be interesting to hear your opinions of the daily bread trips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Looks like the weather is OK for the moment. Have a great week. We tend to rate French towns and villages on the quality of their boulangeries, it would be interesting to hear your opinions of the daily bread trips.

It's not a bad yardstick. The quality of the croissants (surprisingly variable, even in the culinary heartland of S.W. France which we frequent) can set you up for the day or send you on your way with a frown and an Alka-Seltzer.  It's an added bonus if the boulangerrie looks as if it has barely changed since the 1920s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Athy said:

It's not a bad yardstick. The quality of the croissants (surprisingly variable, even in the culinary heartland of S.W. France which we frequent) can set you up for the day or send you on your way with a frown and an Alka-Seltzer.  It's an added bonus if the boulangerrie looks as if it has barely changed since the 1920s.

And somewhere south west of us pains au chocolat become chocolatines.

There are two bakeries within walking distance of the house, the furthest does fabulous breads, the nearer does wonderful viennoiseries.. Decisions decisions.

Have fun, Naughty Cal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

And somewhere south west of us pains au chocolat become chocolatines.

.

Rather like rolls, cobs, baps etc. in England.

Certainly, when I lived in Rodez they were chocolatines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like you may have a wet weekend, the rain radar on metéo60 looks horrible for Brittany.

17 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

We quite regularly do the run from Calais to the Guipry area, since we are twinned with a town near there, and have found that the easiest way is the A16, A29, A13, A84 to Rennes, and then follow the Nantes signs.
Love driving in France and keep meaning to get a Tag. Will need when we take this over next year!

jbWnpm2.jpg

Friends were cruising in that area in July and had a wonderful time but did get caught out with a failed lock or bridge in Redon which caused them to take a slght diversion.
If you do go to Redon we can recommend the Patates et Campagnie restaurant on the Quai Jean Bart, which is where the public moorings are and the O'Shannon pub by the lock where the canal crosses the river, a short walk away.

If that is a mineral blue Sprite, I had a g reg one many years ago, and still miss it sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite the awful weather forecast we have had a surprisingly good day. It has rained the last hour but we are moored up now so not a problem. Just stopped again and looks to be brightening up now.

 

Boat is a bit beaten up as we expected for this time of year but perfectly adequate for the two of us for the week. 

 

20181006_100219.jpg

 

20181006_130021.jpg

 

20181006_131946.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Despite the awful weather forecast we have had a surprisingly good day. It has rained the last hour but we are moored up now so not a problem. Just stopped again and looks to be brightening up now.

 

Boat is a bit beaten up as we expected for this time of year but perfectly adequate for the two of us for the week. 

 

20181006_100219.jpg

 

20181006_130021.jpg

 

20181006_131946.jpg

The scenery looks good, and I’m guessing there won’t be any trains on the viaduct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

And somewhere south west of us pains au chocolat become chocolatines.

There are two bakeries within walking distance of the house, the furthest does fabulous breads, the nearer does wonderful viennoiseries.. Decisions decisions.

Have fun, Naughty Cal.

Can you get a good pint of Taylors Landlord in the local pub?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Can you get a good pint of Taylors Landlord in the local pub?

No.

 

Biggest problem so far. No proper pubs and everything shuts before 9pm!

 

 

  • Horror 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

No.

 

Biggest problem so far. No proper pubs and everything shuts before 9pm!

 

 

Upside being you don't see pi$$ed up underage drinkers kicking hell out of each other or laying in the gutter like you see in so many UK towns.

 

Anyway as a lager drinker you should find yourself in seventh heaven in France - great choice in the supermarkets.

Edited by MJG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It possibly depends on how rural your mooring spot is, as often there are bars and restaurants around, but one needs to know where they are, or find a local who can tell you.

But I agree that rural France can be very, very quiet.

If we see people in the square after 10pm we wonder what is going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

Downside being those of us who can hold a drink and want one can't get one.

As you are finding out or probably already realised rural/semi rural France works on a whole different 'scheme' for eating and drinking.

 

Lunch time tends to be the big thing' and then evenings much less so. Lunch can often take a couple of hours, sometimes longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. Locks are shut for 1.5 hours each lunchtime. Although we found that is negotiable. They waited for us for 30 minutes to get us on our way this lunchtime. 

 

Everyone is so friendly and we are managing with the language. 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.