Plonkers or Conkers

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

CRT have been busy in the last week round here plastering everywhere with notices to save water, to share locks, to wait for boat behind to catch up to share locks....etc....etc...etc....otherwise the world will end. Every lock beam has their own notice.

So today, a gap in the rain and we start up the Stockton locks (nine of them). One boat exiting the bottom lock down and us starting the bottom lock upwards. Oh good I thought, we will have the locks set with us. Unfortunately not, there was a single boat going up 2 locks ahead. No other boats in sight, up or down till we got to the very top.

Ah, Mrs Bob says, they are bound to wait for us as they have all the locks set for them and surely realise they will be then be setting every one of them against us......and what with all these signs of doom around if you dont share.....! No. Diddly squat. We were catching them and by the top as we got to within one lock of them, they decided to leave their top gates open as well. Com'on Guys. We are meant to be saving water. Some of these pounds are low. Very low. They know who they are. It was one to two ish this afternoon. Plonkers.

The duck was so cheesed off with them, he wanted to challenge them to a game of conkers. He hasn't been the same since one of them spikey things hit him on the head in all this wind.

conkers-150442.jpg

Yes but the nice hireboat who waited for us below top lock at calcutt must have set your locks, or is he now in the pub.

the reason there is no water in the braunston pound is because the rain is all in my shoes having trickled down my neck. 

Now i remember why i used to spend september onwards working inside an air conditioned hospital in the third world

9 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Yes but the nice hireboat who waited for us below top lock at calcutt must have set your locks, or is he now in the pub.

the reason there is no water in the braunston pound is because the rain is all in my shoes having trickled down my neck. 

Now i remember why i used to spend september onwards working inside an air conditioned hospital in the third world

...well we are now in the pub....I lie. We will be in the pub soon. Not taking the duck though.

It has been dry all afternoon here. Took advantage of the gap in the rain on the weather radar. Still got my feet wet though.?

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

...well we are now in the pub....I lie. We will be in the pub soon. Not taking the duck though.

It has been dry all afternoon here. Took advantage of the gap in the rain on the weather radar. Still got my feet wet though.?

We moved  about three hours today and seemed to dodge most of the rain and what there was was not at all bad and there was no wind. Since mooring up though the wind is certainly on the up. The sun shines on the righteous.

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Yes raced back to braunston on the bike  to get the car in the weather window. Avoided towpaths so as not to upset boatowners , and roads so as not to upset mrsmelly. Now covered in horsepoo.

39 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Unfortunately not, there was a single boat going up 2 locks ahead. No other boats in sight, up or down till we got to the very top.

Ah, Mrs Bob says, they are bound to wait for us as they have all the locks set for them and surely realise they will be then be setting every one of them against us......and what with all these signs of doom around if you dont share.....! No. Diddly squat.

Was any attempt made to speak to the other crew?

Just askin'.

11 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Was any attempt made to speak to the other crew?

Just askin'.

No, Mrs Bob was the advance party setting the next one and kept missing them (them chugging away as Mrs Bob approached the lower gate). I wanted to blow the horn but Mrs Bob told me not to. By the time we got to one lock behind, it was too late.

Just now, Dr Bob said:

No, Mrs Bob was the advance party setting the next one and kept missing them (them chugging away as Mrs Bob approached the lower gate). I wanted to blow the horn but Mrs Bob told me not to. By the time we got to one lock behind, it was too late.

One long or five short?