Reporting baddly behaved hirers?

Chris J W

Featured Posts

There's about half a dozen lads in a hire boat moored up from me at the moment, and I had the wonderful job this morning of fishing out about a dozen empty lager (!!!) bottles that they'd thrown in the cut that were banging about my bow.

Had I not been told to "F*ck off, old man" when asking where they'd come from as they tied-up, I would have approached them (if I see them!) and reminded them. However, I got the distinct feeling that I'd end up worse off it I did ...

So - is it advisable to phone the hire company (after they've moved on!) and let them know their hirers are louts?

There's about half a dozen lads in a hire boat moored up from me at the moment, and I had the wonderful job this morning of fishing out about a dozen empty lager (!!!) bottles that they'd thrown in the cut that were banging about my bow.

Had I not been told to "F*ck off, old man" when asking where they'd come from as they tied-up, I would have approached them (if I see them!) and reminded them. However, I got the distinct feeling that I'd end up worse off it I did ...

So - is it advisable to phone the hire company (after they've moved on!) and let them know their hirers are louts?

Not really much point. Hire companies who don't mind hiring to large, single sex groups usually, in my experience, have the same attitude as their customers. I was banned from our local party-boat hire company's yard when I had the audacity to take along my lovely wood and canvas canoe that had been crushed by a hen party boat. The yard manager was downright abusive and would have fitted right in with his hirers. Ironically I used to own one of their work boats and, when I approached them to see if they had any history or info, they were less than interested.

There are limits, I wouldn't phone the hire company over, say being slightly too fast, or dropping a paddle, but I would over this. Several years ago I rang a company (Napton Narrowboats?) to advise them that their hirers thought it amusing to throw buckets of water over boaters going the other way... Napton, if it was they, were horrified and very grateful. They also asked of I could name any of the affected boats or their hire companies as they wanted more witnesses: the words "down on" and "ton of bricks" were mentioned.

So long as it's a real, way over the mark greivance and not just being a pious big nose then ring 'em. Yours very much falls into the first category, so go for it with both barrels.

Abuse is criminal behaviour

Gather evidence and witnesses if possible, and report them to the police - they'll be waiting for them back at the hire base.

Wouldn't get involved personally with a group of louts.

Allan

Oh, and if you don't get joy out of the hire company then ring BW telling them the complaint and the hire yards attitude. I know from experience that BW will follow it up.

Edited because my notation kept turning into a smiley! :)

Edited by magpie patrick

There are limits, I wouldn't phone the hire company over, say being slightly too fast, or dropping a paddle, but I would over this. Several years ago I rang a company (Napton Narrowboats?) to advise them that their hirers thought it amusing to throw buckets of water over boaters going the other way... Napton, if it was they, were horrified and very grateful. They also asked of I could name any of the affected boats or their hire companies as they wanted more witnesses: the words "down on" and "ton of bricks" were mentioned.

So long as it's a real, way over the mark greivance and not just being a pious big nose then ring 'em. Yours very much falls into the first category, so go for it with both barrels.

You were lucky, Napton Narrowboats are one of the more conscientious hirers (though they can be a bit over zealous, such as the time, at a BW user group meeting, when their owner suggested me and my boats should be run off the cut), don't hire their boats to big party groups and provide good training to beginners. They are one of the nearest hirers to my mooring and, apart from the odd first day out mishap (always immediately followed by an apology), I have never had cause to moan at their hirers.

Some years back a group on a hire boat spent the evening in the pub at Stoke Brurene, then at closing time decided to set off down the locks.......The hire company were called, met them somewhere further down the flight and reposessed the boat.....

Is the only time I've ever heard of it happening though...

Lee Valley Boats ?? green and yellow boat with a girls name ??

I'm wondering if it's the boat that passed our moorings about four days ago. Is it called 'May'? I tried to take a pic of the stern for my niece (also called May), but they were going too fast! If it was them, they were pretty well oiled then!

Most of the hirers we meet are fine, (we are probably worse, TBH :) ) but a fortnight ago, on our way back down the Lee after a weekend on the Stort, we had to stop two different sets of hirers when we noticed they had opened both sets of paddles.

Yesterday I had to stop two teenagers (who really were old enough to know better), from throwing concrete blocks into the cut.

Lee Valley Boats ?? green and yellow boat with a girls name ??
Quite possibly ... :) If I *MAY* say, that's a good guess ...
I'm wondering if it's the boat that passed our moorings about four days ago. Is it called 'May'? I tried to take a pic of the stern for my niece (also called May), but they were going too fast! If it was them, they were pretty well oiled then!Most of the hirers we meet are fine, (we are probably worse, TBH :) ) but a fortnight ago, on our way back down the Lee after a weekend on the Stort, we had to stop two different sets of hirers when we noticed they had opened both sets of paddles.Yesterday I had to stop two teenagers (who really were old enough to know better), from throwing concrete blocks into the cut.
Yep, that is the one. Once they've shifted (I'm not doing it whilst they are there!!) I'll give the company a bell.

Rang Wyvern Shipping about being hit by one of their hirers at speed at bridge 74? on the G.U. last summer. Hirer didn't even stop when requested.We were stationary with our tow, having sounded the air horn and crept upto the bridgehole. Gave Wyvern the boat's name and heard nothing more. A very half hearted apology. We were heading south and intended stopping at the hire base to fill with diesel but couldn't get near the bank because of boats tied upto five abreast. Didn't stop nor will I in future. Regards H. C.

I can't complain about the hire company, they've been really helpful to us in the past - they recommended us a really great boat engineer. Ring them, they'll probably be horrified.

Ahhh the interwebby towpath telegraph - you can't beat it! :)

Even the reputable hirers can't always control who they hire to. I rang a mate who works at a hire company once to tell him I was surprised that they'd hired one of their smaller boats to such a big party (they weren't misbehaving, the boat just looked a tad unstable) it turned out that they'd hired to a couple who'd picked up a dozen mates at the first bridge-hole. When the hire company caught up with them, half the party were rigging tents on the tow-path. They were given the option of finishing their hols early or putting their hands in their pockets for a more appropriately sized boat (which they took). Everybody happy and, as I mentioned, apart from trying to diddle the hirers, they seemed a sound bunch.

Edited by carlt

Bit off topic but can we also report them for bad dress sense? Spotted a hirer out on sunday with a lovely white & navy captains hat on complete with Gold Braid.

I met a gang from liverpool one year, all dressed like Terry from Brookside (or the fast show equivalent).

They maintained the curly wigs, shell suits and 'calm down lah!' catchphrase going out, and coming back.

You're right... can I offer to poison the worlds lager supply then... that ought to take care of a lot of them.

Now that sounds a far better idea :)

Today we get rid of LAR**R

Tomorrow all the Unlicenced and Illegally moored boats

Chris,

Give LVB at Broxbourne a ring - I've had my differences with him - namely refusing to sell me water because he didn't know how to charge me and refusing to give it to me for free (which I didn't expect anyway).

In the end, he told me to help myself once the yard closed.

They are quite a good hire company, so its worth bringing it to his attention.

Failing that, get a big mate to detain the lot of them while the authorities come and breath-test the helmsman :)

Failing that, cut their lines at night or alternatively padlock them with a stout chain to the pilings and throw the key in the cut, but not until you're ready to move on as you dont want to have to be moored near them when they cant go anywhere.

Edited by NB Willawaw