River Weaver

Neil2

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Interesting. 'm sure there must be big enough oaks here in the UK but we have an inherent reluctance to cut them down. It isn't as though more won't appear!

I have a customer who builds oak barns the trad way. He bought an oak forest in Virginia USA to secure a good supply of oak for his business.

Because we have very few commercial Oak plantations, there was a drive for softwood after WW1 and it is only recently this had changed. 

Plus Oak grows slowly here, which means quality timber but a long payback time

8 hours ago, pearley said:

Also, was told by the lock keeper at Saltersford that there is a new mooring pontoon between Acton Bridge and Dutton, just long enough for one narrowboat. 

Dutton Mile

DSCN3328small.jpg

DSCN3325small.jpg

Also, was told by the lock keeper at Saltersford that there is a new mooring pontoon between Acton Bridge and Dutton, just long enough for one narrowboat. 

Dutton Mile

Dutton Mile

• 3 weeks later...

Notice Alert

Weaver Navigation
Starts At: Marsh Lock
Ends At: Marsh Lock

Saturday 2 June 2018 12:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Boat damage

Update on 28/08/2018:

Following the completion of additional inspection and dive work last week, our engineers have been able to better assess the condition of the damaged gate.  Whilst the inspection confirmed that operation using the damaged gate is not achievable; procedures are being developed to allow a limited passage through the lock utilising the undamaged gate.  Details of the navigation restrictions will be confirmed later this week.

Major gate repairs are still required to allow full operation of the lock and these are now scheduled in the winter works programme.

8 hours ago, Dalesman said:

Notice Alert

Weaver Navigation
Starts At: Marsh Lock
Ends At: Marsh Lock

Saturday 2 June 2018 12:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Boat damage

Update on 28/08/2018:

Following the completion of additional inspection and dive work last week, our engineers have been able to better assess the condition of the damaged gate.  Whilst the inspection confirmed that operation using the damaged gate is not achievable; procedures are being developed to allow a limited passage through the lock utilising the undamaged gate.  Details of the navigation restrictions will be confirmed later this week.

Major gate repairs are still required to allow full operation of the lock and these are now scheduled in the winter works programme.

I thought the winter programme was the busiest time, plus the additional problems of winter weather to contend with.

If the lock is unusable surely it is better repaired in the quiet summer period ie NOW!

George

29 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

I thought the winter programme was the busiest time, plus the additional problems of winter weather to contend with.

If the lock is unusable surely it is better repaired in the quiet summer period ie NOW!

George

Last I heard they were still finding it tricky to source the timber in the right grade/size. 

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

Last I heard they were still finding it tricky to source the timber in the right grade/size. 

Fair enough, but I still believe a complete blockage of a canal/river should be disconnected from the winter stoppage programme and repaired ASAP ie as soon as the timber is found, NOT scheduled at the busiest/ most inclement weather time.

George

8 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Fair enough, but I still believe a complete blockage of a canal/river should be disconnected from the winter stoppage programme and repaired ASAP ie as soon as the timber is found, NOT scheduled at the busiest/ most inclement weather time.

George

I agree. It’s also a shame that this temporary fix wasn’t carried out earlier if one gate can be made operational. I know it was suggested as an idea not long after the damage happened. 

On 29/08/2018 at 10:40, frangar said:

I agree. It’s also a shame that this temporary fix wasn’t carried out earlier if one gate can be made operational. I know it was suggested as an idea not long after the damage happened. 

We overnighted in the lock a few weeks back