Oil filled gauges (photo)

Featured Posts

Bet this hasn't been asked before ( watch someone pull up an old thread, lol)  Does anyone know what type of oil should be used in oil filled gauges?  I'd like to improve these if possible.

IMG_0197.JPG

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Are they really oil filled or is the bordon tube weeping?

No, they're oil filled Tony.  On the top of the casing there's a small neoprene nipple that is cut off once the gauge is fitted, stop the oil running out whilst on the shelf.

1 minute ago, NB Esk said:

That's rung a distant bell, I might have heard that before.  Is Glycerine all the same stuff?

Ahoy John.  I googled oil filled gauges and thats what came up.  Neat I should imagine, no water with it.

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

Ahoy John.  I googled oil filled gauges and thats what came up.  Neat I should imagine, no water with it.

Thanks mate, see what I can find.  Guess the biggest issue will be getting the contaminated stuff out.  I had an old Harley with that type of gauge, suffered the very same issue, unreadable.

4 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Thanks mate, see what I can find.  Guess the biggest issue will be getting the contaminated stuff out.  I had an old Harley with that type of gauge, suffered the very same issue, unreadable.

Lick them all over. The leaks should have left traces of it and tasting sweet on the tongue

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

Yeah, all the ones I've seen have had a bubble, it's more the discolouration I'm bothered about.  If the other two were like the one a the front I'd be happy.