Stiff leaver Enfield 130

Chubb41

Featured Posts

Hi all

im quite new to this 

ive got and x drive Enfield 130 the gear  selector lever is tight I am able to move it but seems tight to me does anyone know if this is an  internal problem or just shaft tight going through the casing 

thanks chris 

Welcome to the forum, which is a source of loads of information & help, however it is useful to those trying to help you, if you can provide a much information as possible saying something like "my engine doesn't start, any idea why ?" will not give much to go on.

How long have you had the boat ?

Has it always been this stiff ?

Is it getting progressively worse ?

What sort of force is needed to move it ? (maybe use a spring balance to get a rough figure)

Have you carried out regular maintenance ? (oil, greasing etc etc)

Photographs may also help.

Try disconnecting the cable / lever at the Drive end and see if you can 'easily' select the gears, if you can then the fault is in the cable / lever mechanism

Disconnect the cable at the 'Morse control' end - does the cable now slide freely ? If not you need a new cable.

Do not use fluids like WD40 to squirt down the cables - it dissolves / swells the nylon lining to the cable outer and makes the problem even worse.

Far better to spend a few pounds on a new cable.

Here is an old thread on a similar subject :

In case you don't have one, here is a manual (assuming you meant Z-drive and not X-drive)

ENFIELD Z-DRIVE Manual.pdf

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Hi sorry yes ?

the boat is out the water and had it about 8 months I bought it if a good friend he took it out the water about one year before I got it it was tight and  used a little penetrating oil on it and if freed of abit so I can get the gears and I’ll going up later so will take a couple of pics 

thanks for the reply 

chris 

2 minutes ago, Chubb41 said:

Hi sorry yes ?

the boat is out the water and had it about 8 months I bought it if a good friend he took it out the water about one year before I got it it was tight and  used a little penetrating oil on it and if freed of abit so I can get the gears and I’ll going up later so will take a couple of pics 

thanks for the reply 

chris 

Whilst there, just try disconnecting the cable - replacing  a cable is much easier and cheaper and less worrying than rebuilding a gear-box.

11 minutes ago, Chubb41 said:

There are no cables on it or the engine as I’ve had the engine out but thanks for your help 

Chris 

Ahhh - OK

How do you select the gears ?

Do you not have a 'Morse' control box with throttle and gear selectors ?

What connects the gear selector lever(page 25 of the manual, shown below - where it says Morse control kit) to the selector in the cockpit ?

image.png.a89067438fd6e61c9abcaf9e7949f8a3.png

Are you saying that there is no connection between the drive and the cockpit (ie the cable linkage is missing) ?

Are you trying to select gear using purely the short lever (item 136) shown in the above drawing ? (is that what is stiff)

5 minutes ago, Chubb41 said:

Yes that’s the setup and the two cables go to the control box as you said one to the engine and the other to the drive the cables are all free it’s the short lever that’s stiff thanks Chris 

In which case its not likely to be a simple cheap fix.

Having stood for the best part of a couple of years there could be all sorts of problems.

Was it stiff when originally laid up ?

Why was it laid up in the 1st place ?

Was the oil regularly changed, and is the oil still in it, clean and at the correct levels ?

Could there be moisture in the box which has led to corrosion ?

I'm afraid diagnosis at a distance is not going to be much help, or relevant, ideally find an Enfield drive expert to look at it.

Good luck.

Maybe it's the hot weather.

I've had 3 boats with Enfield drives, so I thought I'd give this thread a butcher's.

Just got to post 9 and I seem to understand ……

OP has an Outdrive and the gear  selector lever is tight

We then hear "There are no cables on it or the engine …" So why ask if it's an internal issue if all you've got externally is a stiff lever which should have a cable?

When asked if he's using just the lever on the gearbox OP says "Yes that’s the setup and the two cables go to the control box as you said one to the engine and the other to the drive the cables are all free it’s the short lever that’s stiff ….."  Eh? what cables?  You've just said there are no cables to on it or the engine (sic) Where have these cables suddenly come from? Were they there when you started writing?  Is there a phantom cable fitter stalking you?

Having been advised (Superbly) to employ an Enfield drive expert, the closing comment is "it really can’t be that hard ".  I agree, it can't, especially when compared to the thread.

Going to go and lie down in a cold beer, now that I've removed my cables ……. which aren't fitted.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Trying to get back to being helpful although I have much sympathy with zetaomm.

An old cable that is disconnected from its load can often fell free, especially if disconnecting it allows it to form a larger radius, but then stiffen up when connected and asked to pull/push something mechanical about.

Er not sure what to say here lol I just wanted to know if anyone had come across the same  scenario  I might not of said Exactly what I meant i.e. the history of the boat and everything all of the needed to know is if the gearchange lever can seize   where it comes to the casing  i’ve been a mechanic all my life And came across many difficult situations this is not a difficult situation by any means I just thought someone might have come across this before but thanks for your help and what great help it was thank you

49 minutes ago, Chubb41 said:

Er not sure what to say here lol I just wanted to know if anyone had come across the same  scenario  I might not of said Exactly what I meant i.e. the history of the boat and everything all of the needed to know is if the gearchange lever can seize   where it comes to the casing  i’ve been a mechanic all my life And came across many difficult situations this is not a difficult situation by any means I just thought someone might have come across this before but thanks for your help and what great help it was thank you

The Shift Lever on the Enfield can get stiff , remove plate (several Caphead set Screws)dis-assemble lever and replace, can't remember if there is an O Ring in there ,likely is..

Thank you so much for that I’ll try that I’ll  probably have to cut the little Allen key bolts off and re-tapp them as there is not much left and there  probably steal used with alloy  electrolysis  !!!! ?but thank you so much for that tip Chris 

Chertsey Meads Marine stock any spares you need, and there are definitely oil seals on the shaft. 

Are you rotating the propeller by hand while trying to select a gear?  You should be due to the internal design of the gear selection. 

There was a known issue with the rod that connects the external lever to the gears internally, and if it has been forced you may need a new one. 

Edited by TheBiscuits