Mooring in Braunston

haggis

Featured Posts

I know that a lot of the traditional boats may still be in Braunston but are there moorings available for boats which want to stop overnight tonight? Bad timing but that's where we will be tonight! 

Haggis 

12 minutes ago, haggis said:

I know that a lot of the traditional boats may still be in Braunston but are there moorings available for boats which want to stop overnight tonight? Bad timing but that's where we will be tonight! 

Haggis 

There is plenty of space here at the moment on the puddlebanks branch from Braunston turn. 

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There is plenty of space here at the moment on the puddlebanks branch from Braunston turn. Showing my ignorance ?but are the puddlebanks before we get to the turn coming from Napton direction? 

Haggis 

Just now, haggis said:

but are the puddlebanks before we get to the turn coming from Napton direction? 

Yes thats right. As you approach Braunston turn from Napton, there is loads of space here on the left just before the accommodation bridge, 200 yds before the turn. 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes thats right. As you approach Braunston turn from Napton, there is loads of space here on the left just before the accommodation bridge, 200 yds before the turn. 

Thanks. Almost there 

14 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Its empty apart from moderns. There is a fatboat heading from shuckborough. He is causing chaos i recon he will be there about 8 pm if he goes all the way

Thank you. Not seen any moving fat boats thank goodness. Lots moored between leamington and calcutt though 

Haggis 

2 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Torpedoed? He was blocking the whole canal on a narrow bit the attenders couldnt hold it and it was swinging around queues both sides. Its probably now got a big black mark on the side as i have white paint devaluing the tar. 14 foot beam. I thought 12’6 was blisworth max

maybe it didn't come through there

50 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Torpedoed? He was blocking the whole canal on a narrow bit the attenders couldnt hold it and it was swinging around queues both sides. Its probably now got a big black mark on the side as i have white paint devaluing the tar. 14 foot beam. I thought 12’6 was blisworth max

He probably moored up after that. He was just before a bend (if heading to Braunston), but it was fairly wide and I think two narrowboats could pass opposite him. He did ask me if it would be OK to moor up there for a bit, and I didn't see a problem. Probably a bit stressed after the narrow bit!, :)

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Iain says he was moored up facing this way. Got a kelpie sized space at the ladder bridge. 

Been a long hot day. 22 locks and 13 miles which would be fine if it wasn't so hot. 

Haggis 

We did 4 locks and a couple of miles today, that was plenty far enough on a day like today. Moored up at just gone ten on a fab mooring with tree cover and its now BARBEEEEE time :D cos we havnt had one since yesterday.

1 minute ago, roland elsdon said:

God almighty i passed him at 1315 been through calcutt to mooring and 2.5 hrs cutting and grinding off hes done ... a mile

Well just past shuckborough on the direction he was travelling. And a kissed-off looking hire boat dawdling along behind him. And about five more following who must be catching up fast. 

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No, I was the grey and black tug making a pigs ear of getting onto the services wharf next to midland chandeliers as you passed the turn....

I wondered if that was you. Not because of the pigs ear ? but it looked a likely looking boat and we hadn't met you. I think our pigs ear was pretty good ?. I always have difficulty remembering where to go at the turn as it seems so illogical and I had just questioned where we were heading and iain thought I wanted to go to the services. Not today so a reverse was called for! 

Haggis