2018 - Small Puter?

rusty69

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, MJG said:

My daughter was the same, had apple for years, swore she would never ever change and then she was seduced by Mr Huawei.

At the moment I don't want to move away from Apple but Huawei are really good and I wouldn't knock them. 

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

At the moment I don't want to move away from Apple but Huawei are really good and I wouldn't knock them. 

I have a Huawei mifi. Well made and has lasted a good few years.Was also second hand when I got it.

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

No you didnt.

Oh,ok.

What about that other question then?

• Haha 1

No you didnt.

Yes, but he would have meant to if he wasn't having an iTunes induced meltdown at the time. ?

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

I have a Huawei mifi. Well made and has lasted a good few years.Was also second hand when I got it.

I have a Huawei mifi thingy too, I've had mine for years and it gets better signal than some of my old phones. I would recommend them every time - It was faster than my last broad band provider. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Now, while you are here Dr Bob, have you managed to setup your router as a file sever using Samba (wotever that is).What address do I put in the chrome app,plus another 50 questions..........

A file server? I could do with a dinner server......or a beer server.

I connect to the router by wifi from the mac and varioius ipads etc, and plug the tv, bt youview box and Rasp Pie direct into the router and the router then sends its signals in/out. Not a clue at all about what else the router can do. I have a hard disk connected to the Rasp Pie so I can play mp4's etc on the tv so there is a network of sorts but never thought that the router could do any more. Thinking about also connecting it to another rasp pie or a victron color wotsits to monitor power when I finally get the boat back.

I connect to the router by wifi from the mac and varioius ipads etc, and plug the tv, bt youview box and Rasp Pie direct into the router and the router then sends its signals in/out. Not a clue at all about what else the router can do. I have a hard disk connected to the Rasp Pie so I can play mp4's etc on the tv so there is a network of sorts but never thought that the router could do any more. Thinking about also connecting it to another rasp pie or a victron color wotsits to monitor power when I finally get the boat back.

You need to RTFM too then!

It's got digital & analogue inputs and outputs for process control & monitoring, does all sorts of fancy stuff via SMS, has a file server, gps, etc etc.

Hit the web interface on it and see what options you get.  You might not need another Pi.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's got digital & analogue inputs and outputs for process control & monitoring, does all sorts of fancy stuff via SMS, has a file server, gps, etc etc.

Hit the web interface on it and see what options you get.  You might not need another Pi.

What's a manual?

....Rusty. I need help!

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Clever.

Yes, you can stick a usb thumb drive and / or sd card directly into the router (well, you can on the rut955).It recognises the drive in the browser (192.168.1.1),but then i m stuck. I gather I can then connect an app to that (x-plore) and browse the files. Thats the bit i'm stuck on. Dunno what address to use. Have you got an address I can use?

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

He's got the rut 950 iirc .Perhaps you can do your search magic for Dr Bob

Just now, rusty69 said:

Clever.

Yes, you can stick a usb thumb drive and / or sd card directly into the router (well, you can on the rut955).It recognises the drive in the browser (192.168.1.1),but then i m stuck. I gather I can then connect an app to that (x-plore) and browse the files. Thats the bit i'm stuck on. Dunno what address to use. Have you got an address I can use?

How about

41 Alpin Drive

Dunblane

Fk47 8EJ

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Mmmmmmn. First thing. Check we are talking about the same thing. Guess we are cause it is the one Rusty also got and 955 sounds like what I remember.

Second. RTFM

Third. Move forward to the bleeding edge.

Thankyou chocolate cookie for the info and prod.

Edited by Dr Bob

Mmmmmmn. First thing. Check we are talking about the same thing. Guess we are cause it is the one Rusty also got and 955 sounds like what I remember.

Second. RTFM

Third. Move forward to the bleeding edge.

Thankyou chocolate cookie for the info an prod.

I've got a feeling you have the budget version rut 950!

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

These look ok for the money (53 quid)

The price looks good but I wonder what it’s like to use. I was ‘given’ a tablet when I took out a new phone contract a year or two back and it’s total pants. I tried it once and then stuck it in a drawer. 

Just now, WotEver said:

The price looks good but I wonder what it’s like to use. I was ‘given’ a tablet when I took out a new phone contract a year or two back and it’s total pants. I tried it once and then stuck it in a drawer. 

What make was it? Tablets are really only good for sofa surfing imho,so as long as you can access software,internet and the screen is acceptable with a decent battery life, that is all I would require.

57 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

What make was it? Tablets are really only good for sofa surfing imho,so as long as you can access software,internet and the screen is acceptable with a decent battery life, that is all I would require.

I use a Kindle fire purely to handle canal maps- or wotever they are called. Screen seems good and battery lasts a while

I think that was only 60 squid ish.