Map of canals on Google Earth

Featured Posts

Before my laptop was wiped, I had Google Earth installed and I had somehow managed to add a layer of the canals of England and Wales.  Google Earth has been reinstalled but the layer of course is not there.  I can't for the life of me work out how I did it.  Does anyone know?

No, I recall that it was a layer available on Google Earth itself rather than one that needed to be imported. But can your link be added to Google Earth, and if so, how? Thanks

1 minute ago, Essbee said:

No, I recall that it was a layer available on Google Earth itself rather than one that needed to be imported. But can your link be added to Google Earth, and if so, how? Thanks

Ah, ok, sorry. I don't use opencanal map myself, so can't advise. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly. 

A quick Google finds this

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/gec-dynamic-data-layers/tLHfU8VSSzs

4 hours ago, Horace42 said:

Please advise what you actually did to 'sort' it please.

I clicked on the link in Tony Brooks' reply.  If you scroll down you will see an option to download an attachment.  Once you download the attachment, click on it and it will open Google Earth with the overlay of the canal map.   When you close Google Earth it will ask you if you want to save the changes.  Say yes and bingo it's all done. Good luck.

19 hours ago, Essbee said:

I clicked on the link in Tony Brooks' reply.  If you scroll down you will see an option to download an attachment.  Once you download the attachment, click on it and it will open Google Earth with the overlay of the canal map.   When you close Google Earth it will ask you if you want to save the changes.  Say yes and bingo it's all done. Good luck.

Thanks. Essbee and Tony. Great! Done that - I think - I had a choice of 'save' options - not sure which one. Tried 'My Places'. Will see how I get on.

Edited by Horace42
added names.

On 28/04/2018 at 18:50, Essbee said:

Just given it a whirl only to be met with this message when I clicked on the Download: The document “fe02ddae-1a17-4821-9cad-fa6654f712a6.kmz” could not be opened. The file isn’t in the correct format.

Any ideas? Doesn't like Macs?

39 minutes ago, markgregoryuk2000 said:

Came across this for people that do not have google earth installed

https://www.watersidemooring.com/Search?Coordinates=53.8008%2C-1.5491&Location=leeds&DistanceMiles=30

Great help - unless you are on the K&A.  Total moorings available within 10 miles of Bath = 0 ?