keelblack

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Pleased it has worked for you. Perhaps it is horses for courses etc, but epoxy has easily paid for itself in our case. I suspect another two years before slipping again taking us to seven. I did some touching up this spring in the dinghy and had the boat strapped down to the jetty so that I could insect the water line (I always find this to be the most vulnerable area.) It is still in very good condition. I never got more than 2 years out of bitumen, despite trying various types and techniques. I think diesel on the water played a big part in its demise. The "orange blisters" often started after 12 months. With hindsight (a wonderful thing) I now wish I had epoxied it from new. Less slipping is kinder to the boat too.

I agree with you Stan I only brought the boat out this time to see how the zinger was performing, as its like new after 3 years I now feel confident that the bit I cant see will last underwater. I have to say though that I have a colony of mussels on the bottom which are now dropping off, tomorrow I will scrape the remainder off so that I have less drag through the water

5 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I agree with you Stan I only brought the boat out this time to see how the zinger was performing, as its like new after 3 years I now feel confident that the bit I cant see will last underwater. I have to say though that I have a colony of mussels on the bottom which are now dropping off, tomorrow I will scrape the remainder off so that I have less drag through the water

I have heard good reports about Zinger elsewhere.
Good luck with the mussels, our previous boat was covered in them when we slipped it about 16 years ago. Took some getting off!

• 1 year later...
On 22/04/2018 at 17:56, dreadnought said:

hi all,just wondering if anyone on the forum has an update on how the keelblack is performing,cheers for now

Hi ,My boat was was painted with Keelblack at the end of August 2017.The guy who put it on had never used it before but said it went on really easy and dried within an hour and ready for another coat.He put 5 coats below the  waterline and 4 coats above.

Previously in 2015 i had it grit blasted and 2 pack epoxy applied but after a while it went silver and i didnt like the look,so on went he Keelblack in August 2017.

I have just had the boat out this August 2019 and the Keelblack looked great ,no pitting or rust or any marks along the waterline .

Whether it was the way it was prepared or apllied or just down to the number of anodes i have (8 in total),i dont know but all was fine .

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, PARLO said:

Hi ,My boat was was painted with Keelblack at the end of August 2017.The guy who put it on had never used it before but said it went on really easy and dried within an hour and ready for another coat.He put 5 coats below the  waterline and 4 coats above.

Previously in 2015 i had it grit blasted and 2 pack epoxy applied but after a while it went silver and i didnt like the look,so on went he Keelblack in August 2017.

I have just had the boat out this August 2019 and the Keelblack looked great ,no pitting or rust or any marks along the waterline .

Whether it was the way it was prepared or apllied or just down to the number of anodes i have (8 in total),i dont know but all was fine .

I suspect the absence of rust is as much to do with the 2 pack epoxy that was applied 4 years ago.

• Greenie 2

55 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I suspect the absence of rust is as much to do with the 2 pack epoxy that was applied 4 years ago.

So do I. My boat was 2 packed from new and it is now being repaired and recoated after 12 years.

2 hours ago, PARLO said:

From reading various posts on this forum it appears that Keelblack is a very good way of providing a cosmetic finish as long as you put it on top of something else that actually provides the protection. An epoxy "top coat" on top of your epoxy "primer" would have been even better.

..............Dave