keelblack

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, dreadnought said:

keelblack is a produck you paint on your hull to protect it,it is relatively new so you may not of heard of it,hope this helps you

Maybe if you had asked if anyone had any comments on how Keelblack performed, you may have had an answer. ?

When you said 'The' keelblack, I was unsure what 'the' was and if I had missed a previous thread. I am surprised you have had no takers. Someone out there must be using Keelblack?

54 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Finks @peterboat uses zinger and keelblack and was going to report when his boat is out this year?

I is! At the end of July tow of us widebeams is comin owt at Cassie weh both did em 2 yars ago mawn is zingered en is is jus keelblak saws we wil naw difrunce betwan em want we  wal put sum pics up faw thee awreet

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Having to use it twice this year ( and it's only April) must be a frighteningly expensive pastime....

It needs to be used quick cos it goes hard after 6 months and you end up chucking it away like wot I did.

Legacy was docked earlier this year to check how the Keel Black was performing. At the waists there were extensive failures of the coating in round spots which resulted in a significant amount of corrosion. It is thought that the positive ion paint has been affected by the lower cathodic current at the distant point from the anodes. These areas of paint failure were pressure washed and standard blacking applied.

The usual mechanical damage at the bow section from my careless lock entries were also cleaned and re-blacked.

In the areas where there had been no failure the results are looking good but the increased costs of the Keel Black do not justify my using this product again.

Lad whose boat we did at same time was previously done in two pack then in standard blacking, neither the two pack or standard blacking had performed well so last time we used keelblack on mine it is just cosmetic on his it is for protection

1 hour ago, DaveR said:

Legacy was docked earlier this year to check how the Keel Black was performing. At the waists there were extensive failures of the coating in round spots which resulted in a significant amount of corrosion. It is thought that the positive ion paint has been affected by the lower cathodic current at the distant point from the anodes. These areas of paint failure were pressure washed and standard blacking applied.

The usual mechanical damage at the bow section from my careless lock entries were also cleaned and re-blacked.

In the areas where there had been no failure the results are looking good but the increased costs of the Keel Black do not justify my using this product again.

That backs up my observations on a couple of boats in for reblacking after using keelblack,  plus a boat in for a full upper hull repaint that had been keelblacked only 14 months previously and needed a complete re-blacking as well.

Perhaps in perfect warm summer conditions it may work well....however, this is the UK so it may well be wise to pitch the sales bumph at warmer climes.

When ever I have seen paint failure on cars its been down to the painter not the product! My Zinger blacking however was the exception to the rule it didnt have enough uv protection in it so it went silver!! however it still provided protection

We've just acquired a Sea Otter (aluminium) and by chance I got talking to a guy who used Keelblack on his Otter some years ago - I guess when it first came on the market.  It is pretty much cosmetic on a Sea Otter but this guy thinks Keelblack is the bollox - easier to apply than bitumen and he reckons much more durable - and this is someone who is averaging 500 hours a year all over the network so the boat sees a lot of action.  This is not much help to steel boat owners who want to know about its corrosion prevention properties, but I think I would use it to tidy up the exposed hull on our zinc coated steel boat where the black epoxy got scratched and scraped in no time.     

• 2 months later...

So my boat is out and pressure/steam washed off, the keelblack was in good condition and the only corrosion was where I had hit things! As I have said before I have zingered by boat so the keelblack is cosmetic but does provide additional protection. Johns boat is pretty much the same as it was 2 years ago when it was keelblacked, so in both our cases the keelblack has provided protection for the steel whilst in the water. We are both using it again so clearly we arnt unhappy with the results, Johns previous docking was a very unhappy affair as the bitumen applied 2 year before had provided no protection at all, so for him the keelblack has performed better than bitumen 

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

On 25/07/2018 at 18:43, peterboat said:

So my boat is out and pressure/steam washed off, the keelblack was in good condition and the only corrosion was where I had hit things! As I have said before I have zingered by boat so the keelblack is cosmetic but does provide additional protection. Johns boat is pretty much the same as it was 2 years ago when it was keelblacked, so in both our cases the keelblack has provided protection for the steel whilst in the water. We are both using it again so clearly we arnt unhappy with the results, Johns previous docking was a very unhappy affair as the bitumen applied 2 year before had provided no protection at all, so for him the keelblack has performed better than bitumen 

Did you have a barrier coat between the zinga and the keelblack? 

Asking as my 2 pack over zinga didn't work out very well, mainly because I applied it  wrong time of year Jan- Feb last year, 

Looking to patch the zinga and overcoat with something with keelblack as a contender. 

On 25/07/2018 at 18:43, peterboat said:

Interesting. I am happy with epoxy, but good to read of other success stories. In my experience dog shit would outperform bitumen. 

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, catweasel said:

In my experience dog shit would outperform bitumen. 

There is one obvious retort to that but I wont go there.......

Our boat has been bitumen since built in 2001. Hull had lost no steel when surveyed and blacked  in 2011, and was fine when next lifted and blacked in 2015. I actually thought I could have left it longer, but I guess you have to have a look every now and then. Planning to lift and black again next Spring, and might have a hull survey, if only to make sure the thickness is still OK.

So... Bitumen is fine here :)

11 hours ago, reg said:

Did you have a barrier coat between the zinga and the keelblack? 

Asking as my 2 pack over zinga didn't work out very well, mainly because I applied it  wrong time of year Jan- Feb last year, 

Looking to patch the zinga and overcoat with something with keelblack as a contender. 

I had Zinger blacking on it which is not UV resistant so went silver on one side!!!!, I keelblacked straight over the zinger blacking with no problems and 2years later it had stayed on very well. I say to everyone my keelblack is cosmetic but it does seem to stay on very well so no complaints here

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

There is one obvious retort to that but I wont go there.......

Our boat has been bitumen since built in 2001. Hull had lost no steel when surveyed and blacked  in 2011, and was fine when next lifted and blacked in 2015. I actually thought I could have left it longer, but I guess you have to have a look every now and then. Planning to lift and black again next Spring, and might have a hull survey, if only to make sure the thickness is still OK.

So... Bitumen is fine here :)

Pleased it has worked for you. Perhaps it is horses for courses etc, but epoxy has easily paid for itself in our case. I suspect another two years before slipping again taking us to seven. I did some touching up this spring in the dinghy and had the boat strapped down to the jetty so that I could insect the water line (I always find this to be the most vulnerable area.) It is still in very good condition. I never got more than 2 years out of bitumen, despite trying various types and techniques. I think diesel on the water played a big part in its demise. The "orange blisters" often started after 12 months. With hindsight (a wonderful thing) I now wish I had epoxied it from new. Less slipping is kinder to the boat too.

Edited by Guest