Second opinion

Featured Posts

TheBiscuits

I don't get a computer at the top right (or anywhere else on the screen) but thanks for trying to help.

MtB

No, I don't, sorry.

Slow and Steady

Alas my self control is not up to the political stuff on here.

49 minutes ago, frahkn said:

TheBiscuits

I don't get a computer at the top right (or anywhere else on the screen) but thanks for trying to help.

Are you using Legacy Theme on a mobile device by any chance?

Nick Norman wrote a piece on how to make the forum front page actually useable like wot mine is, but I doubt I'll ever find it and it wasn't easy to implement.

It's a sad state of affairs when the forum software 'out of the box' is so unfathomable and un-useable.

On my phone I can get to View New Content like this:

When viewing any forum page, click on the 3 horizontal bars at the top right of the screen.

Click on "All Activity" then "My Activity Streams".

You will then have a list in two parts, with "DEFAULT STREAMS" at the top and (maybe) "CUSTOM STREAMS" lower down.  Click on the first item in the Default Streams List  "View New Content", and you should be taken to the appropriate view of the forum.  Add this page to your bookmarks/favourites, and use this rather than the forum home page whenever you want to view the forum.

• Greenie 1

Loddon

I don't know if I am using a legacy theme, certainly not deliberately.

Not using a phone, a mac book pro.

David Mack

I don't have 3 bars on any of my screens as far as I can see.

This is the screen which I get on opening the site, I use the "new stuff" 'button' on the right of the 4th row down.

image.png.09ef562002d0322f43793f47ccd238b0.png

On 22/01/2022 at 13:25, frahkn said:

The problem is that I can't see your suggested  "View New Content" anywhere. I get broadly the same result i.e. see new content, from the "new stuff" 'button' which I do have access to.  But there is no way to exclude particular areas using this.

I couldn't find it either. I created a local bookmark to this location which appears to be new content without politics: https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/discover/260/

3 hours ago, frahkn said:

David Mack

This is the screen which I get on opening the site, I use the "new stuff" 'button' on the right of the 4th row down.

Looks like you are using the Legacy theme. This doesn't have the menu triple bar. If you change to the Default theme it should work. Click on "Theme" at the bottom left of the page.

Edited by David Mack

• 1 month later...
On 23/01/2022 at 13:29, frahkn said:

Loddon

I don't know if I am using a legacy theme, certainly not deliberately.

Not using a phone, a mac book pro.

David Mack

I know I'm two months late but what version of macOS is that? Likewise what version of Safari?

4 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

I know I'm two months late but what version of macOS is that? Likewise what version of Safari?

It's not a completely up to date version of the OS but following the previous advice, I got the legacy theme switched off. So all's well now.

Thanks.

• Happy 1