House boat for rent

john12345

Featured Posts

Just now, Athy said:

So your rental property/properties is/are in Spain? We thought of getting into that market but were discouraged by the large number of "Se Alquila" [For Rent] signs, some of which seemed to be displayed for months at a time, and that was in a thriving Costa del Sol resort.

We had one in Keighley but now only Gran Canaria. It’s solidly booked, probably due to two reasons; our letting agent is very good and our minimum rental is 6 months. We’ve had Italian tenants, Norwegian, Swedish, and currently a retired French chap.

You see Se Vende appear occasionally on various apartments but never for long as they’re easy to rent out if you do it right, so they get snapped up. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

We had one in Keighley but now only Gran Canaria. 

...which may be the first time that those two places have ever been mentioned in the same sentence!

Evidently the Canary estate agents are more efficient than the Torremolinos ones.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Evidently the Canary estate agents are more efficient than the Torremolinos ones.

It depends, I think. Weekly rents are far higher than long term rents so some folk choose that format. It can also mean that your apartment is available on short notice for your own use. However, 6 monthly rentals mean that your agent only has to find a maximum of two tenants a year. 

thx for all answers, but ones again, should I pay that amount of cash when Tower Bridge one not long time ago was 1500

https://www.openrent.co.uk/property-to-rent/london/1-bed-house-boat-mill-street-se1/204299

when rent for  properties around are 3-4 times more expensive than Brendford.................

Edited by john12345

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

"I wonder what the toilet arrangements are... "

Not quite sure that's the 'right answer'. 

error

thx for all answers, but ones again, should I pay that amount of cash when Tower Bridge one not long time ago was 1500

https://www.openrent.co.uk/property-to-rent/london/1-bed-house-boat-mill-street-se1/204299

when rent for  properties around are 3-4 times more expensive than Brendford.................

17 minutes ago, john12345 said:

when rent for  properties around are 3-4 times more expensive than Brendford.........

You’re the only person who can answer that. If you like it and think it’s for you and the rent is fair then go for it. If any of those three points are negative then it’s probably not for you. 

I couldn't possibly comment with advice as I give no support to .....

1) Those with no desire to live on a boat in the first place and are only looking for cheap accommodation .........

2) Boats that are hard wired into the bank and because they can't move, but could still sink, would actually be better off sitting on it.

3) Those out to make a quick buck from those in number 1 above by providing number 2 above.

Of course in this case none of the above may be relevant, however it is the thin edge of an insidious problem for .....

The unwary

Our Waterways

The environment

Local government and councils

• Greenie 2

17 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I couldn't possibly comment with advice as I give no support to .....

1) Those with no desire to live on a boat in the first place and are only looking for cheap accommodation .........

2) Boats that are hard wired into the bank and because they can't move, but could still sink, would actually be better off sitting on it.

3) Those out to make a quick buck from those in number 1 above by providing number 2 above.

Of course in this case none of the above may be relevant, however it is the thin edge of an insidious problem for .....

The unwary

Our Waterways

The environment

Local government and councils

It is interesting that my Insurance policy (in 'definitions') describes as follows :

Houseboat: A Craft that is permanently located or moored at a single location, which is permanently connected to either the
on shore mains gas supply, mains electricity supply, mains water supply or sewage system.

Rather different to either C&RTs, or HMRC definition.

1 hour ago, john12345 said:

error

I can't help thinking that from the way you phrase this question, your gut feeling is NO. 

You haven't verbalsied it yet but you feel it is overpriced.

And I'm not sure you can possibly be right about the toilet arrangements. Have you double checked? Water (including sewage) needs to flow away downwards and I can't see how that can be happening on this boat. I think you should investigate properly before commiting yourself, if you do.

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I can't help thinking that from the way you phrase this question, your gut feeling is NO. 

You haven't verbalsied it yet but you feel it is overpriced.

And I'm not sure you can possibly be right about the toilet arrangements. Have you double checked? Water (including sewage) needs to flow away downwards and I can't see how that can be happening on this boat. I think you should investigate properly before commiting yourself, if you do.

Toilets waste going to tank on the buton of the boat then one per 2-3 weeks need to be pump to the waste drain by kind of sucking pump on the morring system

And yes, its overpriced for me, 1000, maybe 1050 its maximum. Old diesel central heating, no LPG gas in kitchen, hot water only works together with heating, no electric shower, need few good updates + location, not really London TW8 postcode, no transport links, like tube or train buses only

every couple of weeks boat is not accessible at all for couple of hours because of tide 

Edited by john12345

4 minutes ago, john12345 said:

Toilets waste going to tank on the buton of the boat then one per 2-3 weeks need to be pump to the waste drain by kind of sucking pump on the morring system

Ah that's what we have all been fishing for! Thats a 'pump-out' toilet then. And you appear to have pumping-out facilities on the mooring itself.

Guess who it is who gets to operate the pump and suck out all the sewage and sh1t every three weeks... 

And no it ISN'T a clean and surgical process!

19 minutes ago, john12345 said:

no electric shower,

I would doubt that many boats have electric showers they are huge users of 'lectric and even marinas rarely have sufficiently large hook-ups for electric showers.

If you are looking for the same facilities and the conveniences of a flat in a boat, then you will not get it. 

Pay the £1200 per month for a 1-bedroom flat in TW8

I had to ban the use of electric showers on our static caravan park when someone installed a 10.8Kw shower into their van and it continually blew the trips. He had tried to put in bigger trips into the electric box & was not impressed when I told him to take it back.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, carlt said:

So your properties come complete with a butler and a cassette toilet...

Very sensible indeed.

Tee-hee. Greeno for that. I'm not sure I would have put such trust in them if they had been called Springer & Co.

36 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you are looking for the same facilities and the conveniences of a flat in a boat, then you will not get it. 

Pay the £1200 per month for a 1-bedroom flat in TW8

I dont know much about house boats, but compering that in little Venice where you can find houseboat for 1300 or less, Tower Bridge for 1500 then Brendford should be much lower....

Edited by john12345

I've never rented a houseboat, either as landlord or tenant, but I am a London landlord.  That rent seems a lot for Brentford (whereas £1500 for Tower Bridge was a bargain!).  I get the impression that the landlord expects a premium from prospective tenants looking for an 'alternative' living arrangement.

I also agree with Athy (post #38).  You don't squeeze every penny of rent from a good tenant.  I've not increased the rent on my property for 4 years.  Rents in the area have increased, but a good tenant has a greater value than a bit extra each month.

Can't agree that cost of a rental property is a major determinant of the rent charged - it's determined by rent levels in the area.  If you bought a property 20 years ago, would you charge a rent that was current at that time?  I wouldn't.  Similarly, if you're buying a property to rent-out in an area where house prices are proportionately higher than rents, you're not likely to find a tenant prepared to pay a significantly higher rent than average.

I'd say that, if the OP wants the experience of living on a boat, the Brentford one might be worth it.  If it's just a question of affordable accommodation, rent a flat.

Edited by Marshian
Semantics and elegant variation

7 minutes ago, Marshian said:

Can't agree that cost of a rental property is a major determinant of the rent charged - it's determined by rent levels in the area.

Absolutely. Exactly what I said. 

12 minutes ago, Marshian said:

I'd say that, if the OP wants the experience of living on a boat, the Brentford one might be worth it.  If it's just a question of affordable accommodation, rent a flat.

Its more about to do not be a fool....

Like buying old ford Ka, yes you can like the car, small, easy to park etc but market price for 2004 Ford Ka is around £500, so you not going to pay 1500 for it just because you like the idea of having one...

Edited by john12345

6 minutes ago, WJM said:

That mooring was for sale a year of so ago. Maybe this is a new 'investor' hoping to make a killing!

Interesting. Do you remember how much it was going for?

Could be that the new landlord has splurged a load of money on it making it smart and tidy and installing the 'press a button' pump-out plumbing, and needing to squeeze a profit out of the place now has put everyone's rents up. 

Watch out for more boats on this mooring coming onto the market. 

One thing not clear here. John12345 is considering renting the boat, but who is paying the rent on the mooring? Or does the landlord own both the boat and the mooring?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

6 minutes ago, john12345 said:

Its more about to do not be a fool....

Like buying old ford Ka, yes you can like the car, small, easy to park etc but market price for 2004 Ford Ka is around £500, so you not going to pay 1500 for it just because you like idea of having one...

True enough, but that boat's rent is comparable with 2 bed flats in the area, it's not 3x the rent

Edited by Marshian

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

'press a button' pump-out plumbing

One thing not clear here. You're renting the boat, but who is paying the rent on the mooring? Or does the landlord own both?

Pump out is part of the mooring infrastructure

Boatlord paying all excluding electricity, diesel and council tax