History on Hesperus small ricky

Hesperus

Featured Posts

:rolleyes:Hi i am new to this and was wondering if any one could help me with the history of Hesperus small ricky built 1936 by walkers!

Would be really grateful if any one has old photos of this lovely wooden working boat which i have just got my hands on!

Welcome to the forum! Name doesnt ring a bell, but im sure several people on here might know somthing about her.

- Infact, if you do a search in the forum, shes been mentioned a few times in the past, http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...ghlite=HESPERUS

Few other websites menitoning her, that you might have seen.

http://model.dyffrynandtalybontfunday.co.u..._the_guccco.htm

http://www.envf.port.ac.uk/kacanal/html/kac0286.htm

http://www.waterways.org.uk/Ourwork/AHisto...netandAvonCanal

And an entry in jimsheads list boats, that probebrly isnt her!

HESPERUS Built by Princess in 1970 - Length: 24 feet 11 inches (7.60 metres). 2 Petrol Inboard engines with a total power of 260HP!

Daniel

:rolleyes:Hi i am new to this and was wondering if any one could help me with the history of Hesperus small ricky built 1936 by walkers!

Would be really grateful if any one has old photos of this lovely wooden working boat which i have just got my hands on!

if you look at the site mentioned above models.dyffryn...etc you will see that there was mention in Waterways World 6/00 of Hesperus being holed if my memory serves correct it was on the Oxford but I could have pulled that from somewhere dark!!

IIRC she was still carrying at the time and hit a fridge on the bottom and had to be dry docked for some emergency repairs.

If you do find out the history of Hesperus and wouldnt mind sharing it I would love to expand the section on her in the above website, pictures included should you find some. My Uncle knew and worked with TF at the time of New Hope so I will ask him if he has any pics anywhere.

Best wishes

Hi Jim

I'll pop in and see you in the week with some photies and to tell you what I know (though most of it is in the threads mentioned by Daniel). Hope the kettle's on more often at your new place :cheers:

Hi Jim

I'll pop in and see you in the week with some photies and to tell you what I know (though most of it is in the threads mentioned by Daniel). Hope the kettle's on more often at your new place :cheers:

IMG_0552.jpg

hi ya yes that will be great

i found few pics in the k&a canal book there quite good!!

this is her now!! got me work cut out but loving every minuite of it!! he he

Call in and see David Blagrove at Stoke Bruerne

He spent the late 70's and most of the 80's pumping her out before South Midlands's Clover replaced her.

Search for Stoke Bruenre pictures as it will appear on most of them during this period.

shes looking in remarkably good nic in that pic, is she holed is that why she sunk or was it a time and accumulated water thing?

You have a beautiful boat there mate.

not holed just lack of maintaince needed a bit of T.L.C. we found a few leaks but nothing major cant wait to get her into dock have a real good look !!

Call in and see David Blagrove at Stoke Bruerne

He spent the late 70's and most of the 80's pumping her out before South Midlands's Clover replaced her.

Search for Stoke Bruenre pictures as it will appear on most of them during this period.

will do thanks for that

I have got some pictures lurking about of when we loaded HESPERUS in 2000 at Tarry's coal yard at Nether Heyford and returned to top of Stoke with her. I will try and locate them for you and send them on!
oh that would be great much appreciated jim :rolleyes:
hesperus.jpg
thats great thank you very much :boat: Edited by Hesperus

• 2 months later...

I beleive Tom Foxon also owned the boat which you can read about in the book "Number 1"

The book says...

"The boat Hesperus is a wooden motor built at Rickmansworth in 1936 for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Co. She had been sold out of service and bought by Lord Lucan who used her as a pleasure boat. John Knill had intended to restore her to trading condition but his plans fell through. He wanted £150 and estimated that she needed a similiar amount spent on her. Hesperus had already had an adventurous career since Lord Lucan bought her from the GUCCCo. in 1947. She had navigated the entire length of the K&A Canal in 1948, before braving the Severn estuary en route to Sharpness. From there she voyaged to Manchester before crossing England via the Trent & Mersey Canal, River Trent and the Fossdyke & Witham to Bostom where she made an exciting crossing of the Wash before rejoining the canal system via the River Nene."

In the back of the book, the part "About the Author" (Tom Foxon) it says that he traded as an owner boatman until 1959 when he sold out and became a captain in the BW Fleet. Whether he had Hesperus during the time he was on the cut as a No. 1 (which he renamed to New Hope when he bought the boat, which was later nicknamed "No Hope").

Wasn't Hesperus for sale a short time ago too if I remember rightly?

Wasn't Hesperus for sale a short time ago too if I remember rightly?

Yes I was offered her by the previous owner when I refloated her, for what I thought was a ridiculously low amount. The guy just couldn't cope anymore. I couldn't take her on but mentioned it on the forum.

It never sold until it finally ended up in Jim's hands.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

IMG_0734.jpg

How is the old girl doing now?

hi yeah she is doing really well ,

docked twice in the last year ,one plank replaced,general repairs,cabin had coat of red oxide just to tidy up,bottoms re-caulked,and hull blacked,still need minor repairs to hull sides ,bottoms are mint cant believe the condition of her really.!!

We have been out and about with her recently towing my steel boat,and picked up 4 tonnes of coal in her and she seems to be doing really well!!.(trying to get rid of the hog!)

I will try and get some pics on here. cheers jim

Edited by Hesperus

Hesperus was owned by David Blagrove, On the front cover of the book "Waterways of Northamptonshire" also several photos inside.

And Mr. Blagrove will know her history from day one. Talk to him - he is sure to be helpful.

Phil

Edited by Phil Speight

And Mr. Blagrove will know her history from day one. Talk to him - he is sure to be helpful.

Phil

hi yes we have found out quite alot about her now ,we took her out for 2 months ,we docked her for 8 days at braunston to do some maintanance then went up to stoke to collect coal from mikey p and david blagrove was there watching her being loaded again (he was happy to see her in good condition again ) we loaded 4 ton coal in her to help take some of the hog out.

We met quite a few people who told us more history about her while we were on our travels to stoke as thats where she spent most of her time.

Edited by Hesperus

In a time when I had a ratty old kodak I took pictures of many boats. Sadly I have no scanner and as you can see taking photos of photos on grey days with a camera years ahead of the kodak isn't working too well but I thought I'd at least try and post a picture of Hesperus taken around the end of the eighties. I'll bet it doesn't work but have a look in my gallery if it doesn't. I'll have another go another day and see if I can get rid of the flash

gallery_4182_358_51019.jpg