Forth and Clyde Closure

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Out of interest has anybody received an email from Brian Spence, Transport Scotland. He appears to have sent out a stock letter to anybody who emailed either the Transport Minister or First Minister. Sorry there's no paragraphs etc, my cut and paste skills aren't very good:

I note the concerns expressed in your correspondence and would assure you that Ministers and officials are in regular contact with Scottish Canals at both Board and officer level to discuss the opportunities and the challenges around maintaining these historic assets. Most recently, the Minister met with the Chair and Chief Executive on the 6 th of February and he will be meeting with the full board in May. These recent discussions included the temporary suspension of operations on sections of the Forth and Clyde Canal, due to public safety concerns, and the efforts of Scottish Canals to minimise this period and mitigate the impact on canal users where possible. The Minister has asked to be kept fully updated on this as the plans to reopen the bridges develop. The Scottish Government’s spending decisions are made against the backdrop of the continued reduction in the discretionary block grant received from the UK Government. To give this context, between 2010-11 and 2019-20 this will fall by £2.6 billion (8.1%) in real terms and over the next two years alone we face real terms cuts of over £500 million in the block grant received for day-to-day spending. In this context, the Scottish Government has allocated £8.1 million in revenue funding and £3.5 million in capital funding to Scottish Canals in the 2018/19 budget. Although this represents an increase of 16% in the capital funding, in recognition of the complexity of maintaining these valuable assets, we recognise that challenges remain – including those around revenue spending (required to fund issues such as the bridges already noted). Scottish Canals has made significant effort in recent years to understand the overall condition of the canals and develop an Asset Management Plan to prioritise use of the resources available to them for maintenance and replacement. This has identified a substantial requirement for capital investment in the assets and Transport Scotland is working closely with Scottish Canals to monitor and understand the implications of this. Rightly, Scottish Canals is clear that it will prioritise the safety of the general public, its staff and the surrounding environment as well as continuing to ensure that the canals can be enjoyed by a www.transport.gov.scot abcdefghij abc d wide range of users – and that they continue to maximise economic return and growth to the surrounding communities. Scottish Canals total revenue expenditure is around £20 million and the majority of Scottish Canals revenue expenditure (around 59%) is supported from generated revenue and, increasingly, from regular returns on their investments. The funding for the majority of the investments was obtained from the ‘Dowry Funds’ transferred to Scottish Canals at the point of separation in 2012 or returns from earlier commercial projects. These funds are generally directed at investments that also significantly contribute to the regeneration of areas surrounding the canal network. Scottish Canals continues to work to grow its commercial portfolio and increase the contribution these returns make to supporting the operation of the canals. I hope you find this helpful in addressing the concerns expressed in your correspondence and I assure you the Minister will be receiving updates from Scottish Canals on their asset management plan and investment and regeneration activity throughout 2018/19. Yours sincerely Brian Spence

Edited by 13-10

9 minutes ago, AllanD said:

Can someone please decipher this political statement for a simple minded layman.

They blame the UK Government for not giving Scotland enough money and hope that Scottish Canals' investment returns increase in order to gain additional income. There are meetings planned to discuss the future strategy.

• Happy 1

13 minutes ago, AllanD said:

Can someone please decipher this political statement for a simple minded layman.

Nope, but I replied to him asking for clarification that if Public Safety is their number one priority why have they knowing allowed 3 bridges to fall in to disrepair

• Greenie 1

Just now, 13-10 said:

Nope, but I replied to him asking for clarification that if Public Safety is their number one priority why have they knowing allowed 3 bridges to fall in to disrepair

While ploughing money into buying and renovating land.

OK, maybe that money comes from the capital side of things, but surely to Christ if you have nothing left for fixing bridges, but a wad left in capital, surely it's possible to use the excess capital money for repairing the bridges?

3 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

While ploughing money into buying and renovating land.

OK, maybe that money comes from the capital side of things, but surely to Christ if you have nothing left for fixing bridges, but a wad left in capital, surely it's possible to use the excess capital money for repairing the bridges?

Ronnie - assuming it is a 22 foot boat the two people in your boat look vey small.

SchoolDays_layout2.jpg.cba1a2a9293a046122149c84ce9ee835.jpg

• Haha 1

I received the same email,  I have asked if this Temporary closing of the canal for two bridges merits closing the remainder  of the canal to save more money, bad day when Scottish  canals think it's only transiting boats they need to accommodate, what about US YOUR CUSTOMERS we have paid into the canal for berthing and a NAVIGATION  licence, now we can't navigate through the canal, so Scottish canals cut the hours and stop us navigating the river Clyde most weekends 

1 minute ago, Jokar said:

I received the same email,  I have asked if this Temporary closing of the canal for two bridges merits closing the remainder  of the canal to save more money, bad day when Scottish  canals think it's only transiting boats they need to accommodate, what about US YOUR CUSTOMERS we have paid into the canal for berthing and a NAVIGATION  licence, now we can't navigate through the canal, so Scottish canals cut the hours and stop us navigating the river Clyde most weekends 

Mr Spence is obviously better at cut and paste than me

1 minute ago, 13-10 said:

Mr Spence is obviously better at cut and paste than me

Mine was sent by Justin Huthersall, transport scotland, the attachment  letter had telephone numbers in the heading that are not working, the letter heading also had brian.spence@transport. gov.scot

4 minutes ago, 13-10 said:

I think it's only been offered to those at Auchinstarry

I don't want mine refunded, I want the service I've been getting at Bowling, the canal is not suitable  for my boat, damaged props and clutches each time I used the canal. But I've willingly  paid the licence to use Bowling sea lock,  which means I can use the Crinan and Caledonian  canal, but if I was on the East side of the faulty bridges I'd be wanting my fee returned

Do we know what's actually  wrong  with these bridges, how much can it cost to replace forged hinges or hydrolic rams or pumps etc, I can never understand  why Scottish canals pay so much for consultations, and reports, the paper work they make for themselves,  is normally  more than common  sense tells me the work would cost.

I took a drive down to Bowling this afternoon to show some moral support for all those affected, unfortunately l did not meet with anyone.  

JOKAR, I saw your boat and very nice too; enjoy your trips as and when they occur. 

36 minutes ago, AllanD said:

I took a drive down to Bowling this afternoon to show some moral support for all those affected, unfortunately l did not meet with anyone.  

JOKAR, I saw your boat and very nice too; enjoy your trips as and when they occur. 

Alan, I was toying with going down today too, with my presure  washer,  but it's a bit chilly, it would have been good to get a chat, and put a face to your name. If your down and I'm about introduce yourself 

20 hours ago, Jokar said:

Alan, I was toying with going down today too, with my presure  washer,  but it's a bit chilly, it would have been good to get a chat, and put a face to your name. If your down and I'm about introduce yourself 

Also took a wander down to see if I could see your boat @Jokar . As said by @AllanD, she's a beauty. I'm further inland at Bowling. Third from the end. A dinky wee boat. Won't be there until next Saturday now.

Probably just as well you didn't go down today (Sat. 31st March) as it was another event type thing on. It was 5'C out there and the kids were in giant inflatable balls (like human hamsters) floating on the canal*. That, and canoes. Madness I tell you. Madness. Went to go into the Dug for a coffee but the place was mobbed. Scurried back to the safety of my boat, a cooncil coffee, and a heat.  :D

* Zorbs (apparently) :huh: : https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/events/springfest-bowling-harbour/

At least someone is getting the use of the canal lol, I knew the Easter thing was on today and guessed even with the freezing  weather it would be mobbed, car parking is a nightmare  when it's busy. So Ronnie are you in the middle basing too? 

1 minute ago, Jokar said:

At least someone is getting the use of the canal lol, I knew the Easter thing was on today and guessed even with the freezing  weather it would be mobbed, car parking is a nightmare  when it's busy. So Ronnie are you in the middle basing too? 

No, I'm in the next one inland (the furthest away from the Clyde).

12 minutes ago, AllanD said:

Jokar, I am not too sure about messaging so just checking if you got the one from regarding SC. AllanD

You can hover your pointer over someone's name and that'll let you see the 'MESSAGE' button to message them direct, or you can click the name and you'll see a message button at the top of their profile.

PS: @AllanD your profile shows you as being in Glasgow, Kentucky.  :blush: