Plummer block

BWM

Featured Posts

I have a Plummer block bearing on the shaft under my back cabin floor, fitted 3 1/2 years ago along with new shaft, etc. My question is about lubrication, it has a grease nipple and I have regularly attempted to fill it with a grease gun, but it's not clear if any grease goes into the bearing- it seems to just ooze out of the socket at the end of the grease gun. Any thoughts on this? 

Sometimes the  gun doesn't lock on properly - if you have the type that does. Others don't have a locking mechanism - so it's up to you to make sure that the nipple and grease gun are   in line with each other. It takes a bit of pressure on the whole assembly to get it to work. It can be a pain to get it right...

If and when successful, grease  should come out of the sides of the bearing. It's most important to grease the bearing as the can be a pain to replace.

Get a better grease gun?

I use a Wanner gun - which folks hate - s0 you can get them inexpensively from eBay.

Edited by OldGoat

Said grease does get through, if gun is locked on. As I got fed up of upending my self, as one gets older it is more difficult to get upright again, I modified my block thus:

DSCF6110.jpg

DSCF6100.jpg

DSCF6112.jpg

ETA, Scholar Gipsy has done similar, his photo.

Image2.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, BWM said:

I have a Plummer block bearing on the shaft under my back cabin floor, fitted 3 1/2 years ago along with new shaft, etc. My question is about lubrication, it has a grease nipple and I have regularly attempted to fill it with a grease gun, but it's not clear if any grease goes into the bearing- it seems to just ooze out of the socket at the end of the grease gun. Any thoughts on this? 

It might just be that the grease nipple is blocked. Remove it and see if you can pump grease through it, if you can may need to get a new grease gun like a Wanner that locks onto the nipple..

As Plummer blocks are designed to take some of the forward thrust of the prop they do wear even when well greased. We've had ours replaced recently by RLWP.

The old block is approx 5 years old, off the top of my head I cannot tell you what hours it has done, I'd have to consult my records which are on the boat at the moment.

New block in housing, old block with stick through it.

Mrs T was out when I had them on the kitchen work surface!

ETA I have been advised to use Lithium grease not waterproof grease as used in the prop shaft.

DSCF4195.JPG

Edited by Ray T
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Sometimes the  gun doesn't lock on properly - if you have the type that does. Others don't have a locking mechanism - so it's up to you to make sure that the nipple and grease gun are   in line with each other. It takes a bit of pressure on the whole assembly to get it to work. It can be a pain to get it right...

If and when successful, grease  should come out of the sides of the bearing. It's most important to grease the bearing as the can be a pain to replace.

Get a better grease gun?

I use a Wanner gun - which folks hate - s0 you can get them inexpensively from eBay.

The gun I have does lock on but i'm fairly sure very little is getting through, I haven't seen any squeezing out of the bearing. Will look up the type you have recommended, thanks. 

9 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Said grease does get through. As I got fed up of upending my self, as one gets older it is more difficult to get upright again, I modified my block thus:

DSCF6110.jpg

DSCF6100.jpg

DSCF6112.jpg

That looks like a useful solution, What type/ size of fitting did you use on the block? It looks very similar to the one on mine.

5 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

It might just be that the grease nipple is blocked. Remove it and see if you can pump grease through it, if you can may need to get a new grease gun like a Wanner that locks onto the nipple..

I did remove the nipple to see if there was an obstruction underneath, but didn't think of testing it as you suggest, thanks. 

Just now, BWM said:

That looks like a useful solution, What type/ size of fitting did you use on the block? It looks very similar to the one on mine.

Sorry I didn't keep a record. I took the block housing to the local Pirtek shop http://www.pirtek.co.uk/ and they supplied me with the fittings. I got the rest, tubing, olives, connectors and greaser from Midland Chandlers.

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Image result for automatic bearing greaser

Maybe this is another way to go, just dont put your foot on it

Unfortunately I have very little clearance between the block and the floor above.