Morco boiler issues

Barbret 35

Featured Posts

Can anyone help with advice please,I have a Morco F11e boiler installed at present and I'm having issues with the thing getting to tempsture.

gas to the boiler is fine and water pressure also,I've changed the flow switch and also heat control unit and thing still runs only warm.?

Any help would be appreciated 

3 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

My Antique Paloma PH-35 Raises Tank Water 50 Degrees Centigrade ,it has a Lesser output than The Morco. so, Ambient Temp. +50 (plus?)C = Hot Tap Temp.

My ancient Paloma must be more ancient than yours then. When the water outside is frozen,we barely get a warm shower. Wanna swap?:)

Edited by rusty69

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I'm not biting. But I bet you have them wired up to one of those cheap Chinese electronic thermostat jobbies:)

Only for Temperature Indication and Radiant Phenomena Verification

And to ensure that the Enthalpy Stuff is easy to Comprehend.

Edited by cereal tiller
  • Haha 1

On 03/12/2017 at 19:39, Barbret 35 said:

gas to the boiler is fine

Is it? The symptoms you have described suggest otherwise.

Measuring the rate at which an appliance is burning gas is fiendishly awkward on an LPG installation. How did you do it?! 

Some history would be nice too, is this a recently acquired boat? Has the problem come on slowly or suddenly?

Often owners don't realise that cold water tank tempratures can make a HUGE difference to shower performance between summer and winter.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is it? The symptoms you have described suggest otherwise.

Measuring the rate at which an appliance is burning gas is fiendishly awkward on an LPG installation. How did you do it?! 

Could weigh a cylinder with a digital luggage scale, the G11E is supposed to use about 1.8kg/hr.

Edited by smileypete

On 03/12/2017 at 22:26, smileypete said:

Could weigh a cylinder with a digital luggage scale, the G11E is supposed to use about 1.8kg/hr

A I said, fiendishly awkward.

Step 1: 
Find your digital luggage scale.

Step2:
Realise you don't have one and go and buy one in Argos

Step 3:
Lift your gas bottle out of the gas locker and put it on the scale

Step4:
Realise the hose is too short so try to do it INSIDE the gas locker

Step 5:
Note the gas bottle weight and start the water heater

Step 6:
Run out of gas so go and buy a refill

Step 7:
See Step 5

Step 8:
After 55 minutes of the test you run out of water 

Step 9:
Cruise half an hour to the water point. Discover it is frozen so pour a kettle of boiler water over it.

Step 10:
Realise you don't have any water....

Give up and try another day

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A I said, fiendishly awkward.

Step 1: 
Find your digital luggage scale.

Step2:
Realise you don't have one and go and buy one in Argos

Step 3:
Lift your gas bottle out of the gas locker and put it on the scale

Step4:
Realise the hose is too short so try to do it INSIDE the gas locker

Step 5:
Note the gas bottle weight and start the water heater

Step 6:
Run out of gas so go and buy a refill

Step 7:
See Step 5

Step 8:
After 55 minutes of the test you run out of water 

Step 9:
Cruise half an hour to the water point. Discover it is frozen so pour a kettle of boiler water over it.

Step 10:
Realise you don't have any water....

Give up and try another day

Not that hard surely, what's your alternative?

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Most of those steps look like poor planning to me:)

Buy a scale off Ebay for about a fiver, weigh cylinder (for Mike only: disconnect cylinder first!), have a nice long hopefully warm enough shower for 20 to 30 mins, then reweigh the cylinder.

OP has already changed a couple of parts and serviced it to no avail, I'd have though the above was considerably easier and cheaper, and what's more will answer the crucial assumption, namely is 'gas to the boiler' actually fine or not?

Unless Mike has a better idea or really wants to write an Encyclopedia of Morco Troubleshooting for Boats. Which I don't. :)

If the gas boiler is using the rated amount of gas then the problem lies elsewhere....

• Happy 1

As a single-hander, my schedule would be:

• obtain luggage scale, the hanging hook variety
  • move boat to water point for 24hrs
  • recruit the services of one of the young ladies that frequent the towpath that offer their time on a per hour basis.
  • install her in the shower with the meter running
  • weigh the bottles every quarter of an hour (my hoses are a sensible length)
  • refill the water tanks every half an hour
  • supply new soap bars as necessary
  • until the gas was exhausted
  • then calculate the rate of usage

and then repeat with a second bottle (just in case the first was badly calibrated).

• Haha 1

Weighing gas bottles can be weighed very cheaply with a DIY arrangement.  A balance beam ''used to be called a yard'' I think and can be rigged up on a homemade stand close to the bottle in the locker. The beam can be of any old length of steel or even timber. With the lifting hook in place at the bottle end and the counter weight tray a dangle at the opposite end.Find the point somewhere in the centre of the beam of perfect balance, known as the fulcrum. Once perfect balance of the beam has been found you can begin weighing things. Counter balance weights will need to be found to weigh your bottles and things. A friendly grocer, greengrocer or bank manager might oblige. Failing that just visit the supermarket and buy stuff of varying weights, like lots of 2lb bags of sugar plus 1lb bags of sugar, even a turkey or shoulders of lamb, then many other items of lighter weights like 1/4lb's packets of tea. Virtually all packages foodstuffs have their weight displayed on em somewhere. For fine accurate weighing some very lightweight items need to be bought too, like bags of peanuts, crisps, pork scratchings, ect ect, the choice is endless.  Take this cargo of weights back to the ship and start weighing. Hoist up the beam up by its fulcrum, attach the hook to the gas bottle then keep loading the goodies onto the counter balance tray, begin with heavy items first like a 25lb Turkey, shoulders of lamb or bags of sugar. After a while the bottle will start to shift a bit, meaning that the beam is beginning to take the weight. At this point items of lesser weight are dumped onto the tray until the bottle begins to rise up. At this point it will probably levitate right up, fine and gentle removal and adding of light weights like the pork scratchings and bags of crisps. At some point a few hours later you should get the bottle and weights in perfect balance. Make a note of the weight of all the balance weights that created the balance. Take em off, lowering the bottle back down. Connect it up and run whatever gas appliance you want, a Morco boiler init in this thread. When completed and you've used however much gas you thought you might have, repeat the weighing proceedure all over again, noting the difference in weights of the weights used.  The bottle should be lighter now, by how much depends on how much gas used, perhaps by a bag of peanuts or a few bags of crisps or a 1/4lb of tea.  Anyway now the jobs done you can have a big eating and drinking orgy with all the weights. You can weigh all sorts of things with this homemade tackle, including yourself. To gain more head room for the tackle the beam can be hung by its fulcrum from anthing above it, a canal over bridge for example or even Westminster bridge on the Thames to weigh bigger objects like yourself.  :closedeyes:

• Greenie 1