Kelvin TASC 8 RR 1200 RPM

Tropical Sub

Featured Posts

Welcome! I think you are our first member from L'ile Maurice.

We have a number of vintage engine experts on here, including at least two Kelvin owners, and I hope that you'll get the help you need from one or more of them.

29 minutes ago, billh said:

Hello!

You want Seaward Engineering:

Phone:  0141 632 4910
974 Pollokshaws Road
GlasgowLanarkshireG41 2HA
Years of  Kelvin experience.
That's 2 big engines you got there!
Bill

Here's a youtube showing John and Andy (of Seaward Eng) starting up a TBSC8

Richard

There are starter motor experts on here more experienced than I but it looks to me as though the starter is not fixed down properly on its mounting or is in the wrong position, it is important to check the clearance between the pinion and starter ring, but I don't know what it should be! 

I think that starter may be clamp mounted onto a cast cradle so if the clap straps come loose or the cradle is incorrectly positioned you could easily get that sort of problem.

I also think it has adjustable contacts that energise the motor coils so if its energising too soon you would be putting all the load on just the end of the teeth.

I did wonder about the tooth pitch/number and now you mention it teeth at the bottom looks to have far less damage when compared to those at the top. I think it may well be a wrong pinion or ring gear but I would have expected very sluggish operation and even jambing.

• 1 month later...

thanks but i can reach them.

For the coming week, we have planned to do our yearly maintenance of our mother ship.

Regarding the starter ring, pinion and starter.

I urgently need 2 anticlockwise starter + pinion and  1 starter ring.

Because both our engine are out of order 

It is the holiday season in Scotland.  Seaward may well be closed.  Try them again after 8 January.

If no luck there try British Polar Diesels who now support the Kelvin Range world wide. britishpolar.co.uk.

Phone no is on the contact us page behind the get in touch tab.

N