Water

Roger Saunders

Featured Posts

So a water sensor that could automatically shut off the water supply wouldn't be particularly useful?

Why have a sensor? Have a small "header" tank where the permanant supply comes in. That feeds the main tank, and a standard ball-cock controls the refilling from your land supply.

Why have a sensor? Have a small "header" tank where the permanant supply comes in. That feeds the main tank, and a standard ball-cock controls the refilling from your land supply.

This is a good idea, also the supply can be turned down to a trickle on the tap ashore. That way the tanks will be kept topped up adequately but if there is a leak the boat will fill very slowly!!!

Also if space is at a premium a 'Torbeck' or 'Fluidmaster' valve could be used, and a header tank made from a food storage box (lots of shapes available) with suitable tank connectors.

Torbeck valve:

37311.jpg

cheers,

Pete.

There's a boat being fitted out at my marina with a standard 12v waterpump and also a connection to the mains which bypasses the pump. There's a switch over valve between the two so that you can choose which supply you want - tank or mains. I think there is also another shut off valve on the mains side which you use when you leave the boat.

When I spoke to the fitter the rationale for this system was that since we already have pressurised mains water at each bollard while on the moorings, then why fill a tank and have to re-pressurise with the pump with all the noise and pump wear that this entails.

At first it seemed like a great idea, but after thinking about it for a while I decided it wasn't. If I'm onboard and there's a leak I'll hear the water pump. When I leave my boat I always switch off the water pump to minimise the risk of a flood, but If I forget to switch it off and there's a leak while I'm out, the worst that could happen is that I have a tankful of water in the boat and a burned out water pump (plus a lot of water damage). With the mains system described above, the owner might not hear a leak while onboard. If he goes out forgetting to close the shut off valve and there's a leak, the boat could sink.

In my opinion the advantage of the direct mains system is just not worth the potential risk. Imagine being at work or on holiday and wondering whether you'd remembered to close that shut off valve... :)

Edited by blackrose

When I spoke to the fitter the rationale for this system was that since we already have pressurised mains water at each bollard while on the moorings, then why fill a tank and have to re-pressurise with the pump with all the noise and pump wear that this entails.

At first it seemed like a great idea, but after thinking about it for a while I decided it wasn't. If I'm onboard and there's a leak I'll hear the water pump. When I leave my boat I always switch off the water pump to minimise the risk of a flood, but If I forget to switch it off and there's a leak while I'm out, the worst that could happen is that I have a tankful of water in the boat and a burned out water pump (plus a lot of water damage). With the mains system described above, the owner might not hear a leak while onboard. If he he goes out forgetting to close the shut off valve and there's a leak, the boat could sink.

In my opinion the advantage of the direct mains system is just not worth the potential risk. Imagine being at work or on holiday and wondering whether you'd remembered to close that shut off valve... :)

In that situation I'd fit a metering valve, eg:

13M6107.gif

http://www.everyvalve.com/page13fw.html

cheers,

Pete.

Sorry, what does it do Pete?

Looks like you turn the dial on the top to set a preset volume, then once that volume has flowed through it shuts off.

Bit like a clockwork timer connected to a valve, with the clockwork bit driven by a water metering thingy.

Would probably need to be put somewhere that doesn't reach freezing, with a very secure pipe between the inlet and metering valve if aboard.

But a hell of a lot better than nothing!

cheers,

Pete.

Yeah, i could see that ive you did live aboard, and where able to permantly conect to presured water supply, it could be usefull.

- In which case, a warning or auto-cutoff unit would be good. However it is a very small market i would have thought?

Daniel

I know someone who had mains pressure to the taps on a boat and there was a fault which almost resulted in the boat sinking. To me having mains water (maybe get a house?) is a ridiculous idea because whatever valves and alarms are fitted there still could be a fault and the boat could sink.

I know someone who had mains pressure to the taps on a boat and there was a fault which almost resulted in the boat sinking. To me having mains water (maybe get a house?) is a ridiculous idea because whatever valves and alarms are fitted there still could be a fault and the boat could sink.

Yes, surely it's not that much of a hassle to fill up once a week if you've got mains water next to your boat. So you have to buy a new a water pump every few years and have to deal with a bit of noise... It's got to be better than sinking your home!

Edited by blackrose