Blake's lock closing for 5 months'

kremmen

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Just seen this post from davews. Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post. We are awaiting the opening of this lock, seems unlikely that it will be open and operational by 23rd March.

Getting information from EA seems like blood from a stone syndrome. 

EA Thames region are usually pretty good at meeting winter works deadlines. I'll see if I can get some inside information - rather than the standard bull**. At this stage with 0 days to go I suspect I'll get waffle.

51 minutes ago, davews said:

Thanks for the update OldBoat. So it looks like 'end of March' rather than 'mid March'..

Not to be disingenuous - but the closure was always posted to end on Friday 23rd. March - so hardly 'mid March', but a slippage of 2-3 days does put it nearer to the end of the month as you pint out! I didn't get any details so can't shed any light on why there is a delay - other than the obvious cry of 'bad weather'.

Kremmen got there first. Here is something a bit more readable:-

Good afternoon 

Attached is Issue 4 notice and map for the River Thames Investment Programme 2017 to 2018.  A copy of the notice is also shown below.

The reason the notice has been issued is that due to the extreme weather conditions experienced recently, there is a delay in the programme of works at Blakes Lock. The length of works has been extended from 23 March to the 27 March.   

Despite the loss of 5 working days to the programme, through careful planning, the extended works have been minimized to 4 calendar days. There will be an opportunity for assisted passage between 9.30am and 4pm from 23 to 27 March but the lock will be closed each day from 4pm to 9.30am the following morning.  The lock will be fully open on 28 March. 

It is also now possible for canoe portage with care during the closure

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks and best regards

Mary

So for those rushing to get onto the Thames you'll also be helped on your way (as above) - which is a nice offer.

11:30 16th. March. Just got a note from my marina - a bit downstream of Reading -

All locks are on Red boards and the outlook is that the River may stay that way for some time. That may put a bit of a damper on folks who want to rush off the Kennet...

I didn't notice that Blakes lock was in particularly poor condition when I went through about 5 years ago. It seemed fine to me.

Am I thinking of the right lock? Is this the landing for Blakes lock when coming up from the Thames?

01 - Blakes Lock.jpg

Edited by blackrose

• 2 weeks later...

As many will know, Blakes Lock is now operational. Yippee! We have waited ages to get orf the K&A. However, due to family bereavement, now past and sorted we are free to escape. 

This is a link to the Thames water levels. http://riverconditions.environment-agency.gov.uk/ It's not helping is it?

I love the K&A. (Not really anymore).

26 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

As many will know, Blakes Lock is now operational. Yippee! We have waited ages to get orf the K&A. However, due to family bereavement, now past and sorted we are free to escape. 

This is a link to the Thames water levels. http://riverconditions.environment-agency.gov.uk/ It's not helping is it?

I love the K&A. (Not really anymore).

Awesome get on cruising :D We still have no hope here getting off the Erewash :(