Buckby Can

Ruth Brooker

Featured Posts

I have a high regard for Mr. Moore's work. He recently renovated our "Buckby" can, which had been very well painted by Jane Selkirk but which had suffered some knocks and chips from being used as (shock horror) a can in which to carry water. He did an excellent job and didn't charge the earth.

Edited by Athy

Jim, Mike and Rob

Many thanks for your pictures and kind comments, very much appreciated. I’ve finished now for the festive season, other than to varnish a can for friends we are seeing next month. The workshop is tidy, the bench neat and all brushes cleaned, greased and stowed erect in their rack....a seldom seen sight......to friends, colleagues and forum members, my best wishes to you all for the forthcoming festivities. Cheers!

• Greenie 4

I bought a Buckby  can from a W.R.G. fundraising stall,probably  40 plus years ago. Dont have a photo at the moment. It is signed W R G on the bottom. Anybody know who might have painted it? I presume it was a new can,painted as a  fund raiser.

It could possibly be the work of Graham Palmer, the group’s founder. Graham used to paint stuff for sale, I remember, but it’s hard to be certain without a photograph. I expect other members painted too, though I’m not familiar with the work. Others will add knowledge, hopefully.

Dave

On 12/24/2017 at 13:41, dave moore said:

It could possibly be the work of Graham Palmer, the group’s founder. Graham used to paint stuff for sale, I remember, but it’s hard to be certain without a photograph. I expect other members painted too, though I’m not familiar with the work. Others will add knowledge, hopefully.

Dave

Hope these pictures might give a clue to the painter. I think the can is tin plate as it is lighter than my other cans.

IMG_3144[1].JPG

IMG_3146[1].JPG

Hi Nebulae

Yes, I think this would have been Graham’s work, I recall seeing similar brushwork by him on an instructional pamphlet he produced many years ago. I’m not 100% certain, stand to be corrected if anyone else has better knowledge......

Dave

On 02/10/2017 at 15:22, alan_fincher said:

This is being sold by the craft shop a couple of locks down the Buckby flight, which from my experience is not exactly the cheapest place to pick up a bargain.

I see the starting price is £200, but I imagine following recent trends it will probably sell a lot higher.  Prices just seem to be on an upward spiral.

I realise it's all down to personal tastes, but as one who was brought up on "Southern" styles of painting, this really doesn't appeal to me at all, I'm afraid.

Dont know ive picked up a few bargins like both my water cans for £100 from them both old ones be it a little dented one of them only a little though! And few other bargins as well. Maybe they just take pitty on me!