Wasps

Bones

Featured Posts

There are lots of wasps around the area at the moment and I was wondering how moat people deal with them? I have embarked upon removing them when they fly in, but there are too many to keep doing it.

Moor next to a Viking afloat boat for a bit. Your wasps will be lured away by the bright yellow colour scheme.

I was wondering how moat people deal with them?

I believe the 'Moat People' have more of a problem with mosquitoes.

Please don't hurt me either :cheers:

I always tell them to buzz off :D

Please don't hurt me :cheers:

I believe the 'Moat People' have more of a problem with mosquitoes.

Please don't hurt me either :cheers:

bad boys!!!!!!!! :cheers:

im sure there must be an anti wasp/insect smelly thing you could hang up near the doorways.

abit like a citronella candle only some kind of impregnated paper stuff.

failing that, you could get nasty on them and spray insect killer around, close the doors and sit outside for a while..

enter later to find some wings down legs up insects. the only problem with doing that is that it will kill off all the spiders too... and spiders are alright.

dont try killing wasps one by one... they get angry if you miss and send out smoke signals to their mates to come and give you some whup ass.

It looks awful, but I duck tape a piece of nylon mesh or pin spot aluminium over the windows all summer. Keeps the little buggers out.

My dad bought me an UV fly killer thing, I stopped using it when I saw a beautiful moth fly into it and take ages to die. The only thing it did was annoy me, and I killed it.

Not attractive to midges either, who do cause me problems - last week one bit me and my hand swelled up like a packet of sausages.

It looks awful, but I duck tape a piece of nylon mesh or pin spot aluminium over the windows all summer. Keeps the little buggers out.

My dad bought me an UV fly killer thing, I stopped using it when I saw a beautiful moth fly into it and take ages to die. The only thing it did was annoy me, and I killed it.

Not attractive to midges either, who do cause me problems - last week one bit me and my hand swelled up like a packet of sausages.

Hmm.. cintronella makes me sneeze and I am not inclined to mesh up the doors - the spiders stop them coming in the windows.

I suppose I could put a jar of sugar liquid on the roof wich they can drown in..... Is there a pheremone free solution I can mix in with it so they drop dead rather than excape and tell all their other stripey chums about the most amazing food source?

Though they a pest, the damned things only get aggressive and sting people for a couple of weeks in late August. I think we should try to tolerate the blighter's, they're all Gods little creatures.

hmmm.. but there are loads...... and irritating. I thought they might be looking for a place to nest - which would be most cross making!

Nail the blighters I say!

Is there someway we could introduce genetically modified, stronger wasps that dont have a sting?

Blimin things, do they eat something we need them to? Does something eat them to survive?

Though they a pest, the damned things only get aggressive and sting people for a couple of weeks in late August. I think we should try to tolerate the blighter's, they're all Gods little creatures.

they mostly be getting pi**ed on fruit around August time, can't stand the little critters, I've got one of these badminton stlye rackets that you put 4 AAA batterys in, there great fun for zapping em :cheers:

Here you go:-

http://www.swatthefly.co.uk/index-google.asp

Edited by nigel carton

SOmething grocers do is put a strong fan, blowing down in the doorway, it seems most insecs can't make it through the downdraft. Not sure how you would accomplish that though.

nope, fans are out and so are zappers - they are ok for the first few minutes but then it all goes wrong.

I am beginning to feel that my new best friends are going to be wasps... sob.

Nail the blighters I say!

Is there someway we could introduce genetically modified, stronger wasps that dont have a sting?

Blimin things, do they eat something we need them to? Does something eat them to survive?

They eat other insects, I believe, and are quite useful.

My wife is liable to die if she is stung, especially if out of easy reach of a hospital, but has made a bit of a study of them & has a sneaking admiration for something which she has to treat 'as if it were a venomous snake'.

They're usually only a problem at the end of summer, when they tend to fly much lower and make a nuisance of themselves, but their usual behaviour patterns seem to have been a bit mixed up over the last year or three.

Tim

Funnily enough, when I lived in France, I found that wasps were mostly drawn to meat - even more than to sweet things. Anyone having a barbeque always had a plague of wassups too. Are they being attracted to your cooking perhaps?

Moor next to a Viking afloat boat for a bit. Your wasps will be lured away by the bright yellow colour scheme.

and the clouds of noxious diesel fumes blown all over your boat by the amazingly smoky bukh engine contained therein whenever the poor unfortunate who lives in it tries to charge their batteries!! (I live in a viking afloat boat!)

Funnily enough, when I lived in France, I found that wasps were mostly drawn to meat - even more than to sweet things. Anyone having a barbeque always had a plague of wassups too. Are they being attracted to your cooking perhaps?

at least something is!!!! :cheers:

It is a common problem in this area unfortunately.

I thought they might be looking for a place to nest - which would be most cross making!

Don't worry Bones - if they were going to build a nest they would have done so by now. It is possible though that you have a nest nearby if you are getting bothered by a lot of them. Nests are started in the spring when the hibernating queens wake up and make a small nest and lay eggs to create the first few workers (unlike bees, where the whole colony more or less hibernates).

Also unlike bees, wasps are carniverous, so they tend not to bother us for most of the summer. They do however get addicted to a sweet secretion that is exuded by the growing grubs. In late summer, when all the grubs have grown up, the wasps no longer get their hit from this source. It is then that they turn their attention to the sweet things on our table so normally it is only then that we start to find them a nuisance.

If you find them a problem keep a can of insecticide handy, but I still think it is likely that there is a nest nearby if you are getting so many that they become a real nuisance.

I have a glass bell shaped bottle with a dome in the bottom, there's a hole in the top of the dome and a cork bung in the neck of the bottle. You pour fruit juice in the ring around the dome and hang the bottle up by the neck. Wasps find their way in but mostly can't find their way out and eventually they fall in the fruit juice and drown.

I bought a small brightly coloured one from a DIY store the other week for a couple of quid.

A jam jar with a few pencil sized holes in the lid works almost as well.

I've found that wasps are mostly attracted to two things in my garden, one is apples I put out for the blackbirds and the other is my shed which they chew up to make their nest out of, usually in the shed.

Ric.

Partially fill a clear plastic bag with water. Tie off the top and hang it up outside your entrance door. Wasps and flies when entering see a huge wasp or fly; their own reflection. They are then scared and fly off.

Have you ever noticed in Spain the partially water filled plastic bags outside doorways? The above is why the bags are there. The spanish will tell you it works, so who are we to disbelieve?

Wow - I LOVE that idea! Reminds me of a cyclist who was getting attacked by birds (think it was seagulls) every day on his way to work. He painted huge eyes on the top of his helmet as a deterrent . Dunno if it worked though!