Engine Room Temperature and Batteries

Simon (Hawksmoor)

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Tom , Dick and Harry.  Roger Bushell was the escape leader and organiser

What would these fora do for mind tickling without you here Bizard??

Keeps us all amused and stimulated. I saw the photo and thought 'I know that one' - and passed on.....

On 10/08/2017 at 10:48, bizzard said:

Beats me why the batteries on most wide beam boats are stuffed down there next to the engine, often having large steel deck plates above. The heat with the engine running and sun beating down on the deck plating is quite severe.  There are usually big lockers on the back of wide beams, often just full of rubbish where the batteries could be, cooler and get atable.

Mine are sat in a box on the uxter plate about 5ft away from the engine - cooled from below and heated by the deck above. I've no idea how hot they get down there but it sounds like proximity to the engine may not be the issue - rather it's overall air temperature in the engine space? 

12 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Mine are sat in a box on the uxter plate about 5ft away from the engine - cooled from below and heated by the deck above. I've no idea how hot they get down there but it sounds like proximity to the engine may not be the issue - rather it's overall air temperature in the engine space? 

Yes it is the overall air temperature in the engine space that is concerning us

1 hour ago, Simon (Hawksmoor) said:

Yes it is the overall air temperature in the engine space that is concerning us

My batteries are in a similar situation, sitting on the swim under the engine boards. The frame they sit on gets up to 40°C after a long run. A set of Trojans really didn't like that and I reckon it was a contributory factor in their early demise, though I blame the difficulty of giving them an adequate charging regime during extended cruising as well.

After over a year, my cheap sealed Albions seem to be coping much better.

Tony, I know what you mean about the engine pulling in lots of fresh air, but in my case the engine bay ventilator is quite close to the engine air intake, so I guess it goes straight from one to the other.

As Tony Brooks said earlier,  lead acid battery life is halved for every 8°C over 25°C.

However the temperature that matters is the internal temperature of the battery, not that of the ambient temperature. 

If they are wet cells, measure the temperature of the electrolyte at the end of a days running.

If they are sealed cells, measure the temperature of the case at the end  of a days running.

Most batteries in canal boats sit on the swim, or on the uxter plate, with one side pushed close to the hull. This means the hull is acting as a heat sink,  so the battery temperature will be somewhere between ambient engine room temperature and the temperature of the canal water.