Marie Stranded on the Trent

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

All tidal coastal and river pleasure craft users should be RYA qualified imo and compulsory VHF trained/equipped. 

It is a legal requirement to have a vhf operators license , before using a vhf radio. Also the radio/boat  must be registered with Ofcom .

This can only be obtained after the appropriate RYA training course for VHF.

Just now, MartynG said:

It is a legal requirement to have a vhf operators license , before using a vhf radio. Also the radio/boat  must be registered with Ofcom .

This can only be obtained after the appropriate RYA training course for VHF.

Indeed, but it isn't compulsory. 

Just now, rusty69 said:

Indeed, but it isn't compulsory. 

If you abide by the relevant bylaws of the waters you are travelling in then for ABP Humber waters it is compulsory for narrowboats.

Most ignore this of course as they are ignorant of the relevant requirements or just don't give a toss.

15 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

If you abide by the relevant bylaws of the waters you are travelling in then for ABP Humber waters it is compulsory for narrowboats.

Most ignore this of course as they are ignorant of the relevant requirements or just don't give a toss.

What about other types of boat? 

14 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Yes it is.

You are of course correct. I meant VHF should be compulsory. 

Edited by rusty69

4 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Yes it is.

I think what Rusty was getting at was On most rivers ....tidal & non tidal... it's not compulsory to have a VHF...but if you have one you need to be trained and either the vessel registered or the radio depending if it's a fixed of hand held unit. 

Just now, frangar said:

I think what Rusty was getting at was On most rivers ....tidal & non tidal... it's not compulsory to have a VHF...but if you have one you need to be trained and either the vessel registered or the radio depending if it's a fixed of hand held unit. 

Yes, thank you for clarifying. 

But my point was private boat owners should be qualified on tidal waters. 

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

There are seagoing coasters op there. The Trent is great but it does wrankle with me when peeps discount the use of a cheap bit of kit such as a VHF radio. The times I tried to hail narrowboats on the non tidal bit downstream of Nottingham on blind bends etc and no response was just stupidity. A basic course and a hundred quid radio is all it takes. Even if you are too daft to take the course at least buy a radio and listen in and if the crap hits the fan use it in an emergency and no one is going to take you to prison.

Of course you're right but I average 1 day on the tidal Trent every 5 years. I also have a long list of boat things to spend money on. Weighing up cost against risk is a tricky business. 

Just now, frangar said:

Yes you do have to have the training before obtaining an operators license.

The vhf equipment then needs to be registered with ofcom in order to obtain a license for the boat. This includes any fixed or handheld radio or AIS equipment  . A handheld marine vhf , under this license, may only be used from a boat and may not be used when standing ashore.

A shore  station license is a separate licensing matter .

The Tidal Trent a working vhf is mandatory. However the presence of a working vhf is not enforced by the C&RT who operate the locks.

7 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

Of course you're right but I average 1 day on the tidal Trent every 5 years. I also have a long list of boat things to spend money on. Weighing up cost against risk is a tricky business. 

You are the sort of person the lockies hate!

Think nothing of spending £50-60k on a boat but dont like spending £100 On a course and £70 on a piece of safety equipment. :(

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

The vhf equipment then needs to be registered with ofcom in order to obtain a license for the boat. This includes any fixed or handheld radio or AIS equipment  . A handheld marine vhf , under this license, may only be used from a boat and may not be used when standing ashore.

The Tidal Trent a working vhf is mandatory. However the presence of a working vhf is not enforced by the C&RT who operate the locks.

Will fix that with the tidal Trent below Gainsborough. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Very surprisingly that does  seem so . Just seems mad to go tidal without a vhf .

To the sensible people yes it is mad!

Just now, rusty69 said:

Thats why it should be compulsory along with boat and navigation  training :)

And who would police It?

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Thats why it should be compulsory along with boat and navigation  training :)

I don't disagree with training as such. I have a very basic RYA qualification. However qualifications aren't everything - there is no substitute for experience.

I know people who have obtained much higher qualifications than me yet they have never owned a boat.

Just now, MartynG said:

I don't disagree with training as such. I have a very basic RYA qualification. However qualifications aren't everything - there is no substitute for experience.

I know people who have obtained much higher qualifications than me yet they have never owned a boat.

Qualifications aren't everything, but they do show that you have attended a course and passed a test. Surely better than what we currently have? 

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

How much extra would they need to be paid? 

A lot. They are on minimum wage. Not ebough for the agro of not letting someone out!

5 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Same here.

A lot of people in our marina are far better qualified on paper than us yet getting their boat of their berth is their worst nightmare. 

You can not buy experience. 

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Qualifications aren't everything, but they do show that you have attended a course and passed a test. Surely better than what we currently have? 

Not really. 

I remember on a previous thread on this subject,the need for a V.H.F. was contemptuously dismissed as" boys toys". Fortunately,fatal accidents on the canal and river are rare, If people  operate boats without some degree of skill  and all vital safety kit for the water they are on,sooner or later they will come to grief.

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

A lot. They are on minimum wage. Not ebough for the agro of not letting someone out!

9 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Then pay them a bit more, or only issue tidal licenses to qualified skippers. 

31 minutes ago, MartynG said:

You do not need to have completed the RYA course to licence the radio / boat.