Bilge paint or floor paint

umpire111

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, umpire111 said:

Someone has said they use a floor paint from Screwfix instead of specific bilge paint when painting the bilge,  much cheaper of course. Anyone done that?

Used Danboline for Years,it's properties were mainly High Opacity and Oil/Grease Resistant,however,next time I repaint the Engine Bay i will use Garage Floor Paint,willing to bet it lasts perfectly well

CT

2 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Used Danboline for Years,it's properties were mainly High Opacity and Oil/Grease Resistant,however,next time I repaint the Engine Bay i will use Garage Floor Paint,willing to bet it lasts perfectly well

CT

Was thinking of copying Missmax and doing ours with bitumen. 

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Was thinking of copying Missmax and doing ours with bitumen. 

2 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

Bitch you mean? not nice Rusty!

Boys! Boys! :clapping::clapping:

I have said on another topic that I preferred Hemple  bilge & locker paint. For some time I have been using on the cockpit and well deck floor over Protectacote or the same paint with plastic aggregate in it. I ran out of the Hemple product and as not many canal outlets stock Hemple used Dambolin (international) bilge paint. The Hemple product dries to a semi-mat (eggshell/silk, call it  hat you will) finish where as Damboline dries with much more gloss. I get the impression Hemple is tougher but have no proof of that.

I would certainly be very wary of skimping on the paint use in the bilges.

That doesnt mean using specific bilge paint, but it likely does preclude using own-brand floor paint from screwfix, certainly the 'non-nonsense' floor paint I had from there a few years ago wasnt worth the can it was housed in, barely good enough for sloshing over concrete to keep the dust down.

The bilge is just about the hardest part of the boat to paint, and in the case of most cabin boats the only area you can basically never paint again, yet it often gets damp and is hard to dry out. Condensation, weeping pipe, window or 'deck-head' leaks, shower wall, the lot. 

Most boats rust from the inside out, if not at the waterline.

Daniel

17 hours ago, DHutch said:

I would certainly be very wary of skimping on the paint use in the bilges.

That doesnt mean using specific bilge paint, but it likely does preclude using own-brand floor paint from screwfix, certainly the 'non-nonsense' floor paint I had from there a few years ago wasnt worth the can it was housed in, barely good enough for sloshing over concrete to keep the dust down.

The bilge is just about the hardest part of the boat to paint, and in the case of most cabin boats the only area you can basically never paint again, yet it often gets damp and is hard to dry out. Condensation, weeping pipe, window or 'deck-head' leaks, shower wall, the lot. 

Most boats rust from the inside out, if not at the waterline.

Daniel

Many thanks for this well argued response and am taking your advice, have used Fertan and now applying primer, ready for bilge paint this weekend. Pete

Edited by umpire111