What alternatives are there for getting the internet?

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes Phil and in the early/mid nineties we were sold the " Digtal Pup " telling us how marvelous it was all going to be much like digital radio which is also absolutely crap and here non existant wheras vhf is still fine. 30 years of mobile fones and we cant even get a signal is quite astonishing.

Is Lower heyford surrounded by higher ground?

Im heading that way week after next so will have to remember i will have no signal.

We bought the Huawei from Amazon plus the dual pin aerial. We also signed up with EE ona  30 day rolling contract, as we use marina wifi in the winter. Have travelled a lot but generally get 4G everywhere. The mini router also means everything on the boat can use it inc. a Smart tv etc

On 6/1/2017 at 10:00, Dave Payne said:

Is Lower heyford surrounded by higher ground?

Im heading that way week after next so will have to remember i will have no signal.

Its a gentle valley and the canal runs adjacent to the river but there are far deeper valleys in the uk with a good signal, it is simply atrocious here and well known for it. I am on a land based wifi at moment as for last two days mine hasnt worked at all.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this has been said before, but a lot of Android phones come with 'tethering' in the settings. With that your phone becomes a wifi access point (with password!) that you can then use with a laptop or whatever.

For data on my phone (no boat yet) I have GiffGaff (who use the O2 network) and they're really good with data.

6 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Not sure if this has been said before, but a lot of Android phones come with 'tethering' in the settings. With that your phone becomes a wifi access point (with password!) that you can then use with a laptop or whatever.

For data on my phone (no boat yet) I have GiffGaff (who use the O2 network) and they're really good with data.

I use my android phone as a WiFi router for our tablets using the tethering setting. Get a pretty good signal with Vodafone along most of the Kennet and Avon between Devizes and Reading. I have found a laptop chews the data a bit more though! 

33 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

My windows phone when win8 would tether, but after update to win10 the phone 'asks' the network for permission to tether and the network declines, so no longer will tether.  I think iPhones are the same, though some networks will allow tethering and some wont.....

So now I have a mifi and data only sim, actually works much better than tethering as the external antenna gets a much better (faster) connection.