Car roof rack on a narrowboat or barge

Edward_M

Featured Posts

I think something like this could work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2013-Toyota-Highlander-OE-Style-Black-Roof-Rack-Side-Rail-/271677606785?hash=item3f413f4b81:g:QzMAAOSwnbZYEb6f&vxp=mtr

or this, for a Ford Transit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRUSHED-ALUMINIUM-ROOF-BARS-RACK-RAILS-SIDE-BAR-SET-SWB-FOR-FORD-TRANSIT-CUSTOM-/200974952235?hash=item2ecb0a672b:m:mTkZTxPR9mXgE_s4Qjzmglg

and the other question that comes to mind - attaching aluminium onto the steel... are there any corrosion issues that would need to be considered?

Edited by Edward_M

A bicycle rack would eventually cause problems with low bridges, but the main issue with roof mounted add ons is visibility - it is much more relaxing to have a clear view of your journey.

5 hours ago, Edward_M said:

Has anyone heard of, or used themselves, a car roof rack on their narrowboat to have a modular system for bikes/kayaks/boxes etc?

The boat I now own had a large THule roof box on when I bought it. I detest such things and boxes on roofs as they obscure vision for steerer and are normaly full of junk. As a liveaboard the only thing on my roof is solar. However the system had worked well for previous owner and the two bars are still affixed to the roof and the system was secure when in use.

20 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The boat I now own had a large THule roof box on when I bought it. I detest such things and boxes on roofs as they obscure vision for steerer and are normaly full of junk. As a liveaboard the only thing on my roof is solar. However the system had worked well for previous owner and the two bars are still affixed to the roof and the system was secure when in use.

Yeah, I'm not keen on a roof box, but using it to securely mount a couple of kayaks when going up and down the lower, middle Thames would be useful.

It always makes me smile to see someone peering awkwardly around one of those aero dynamical plastic wedges people put on car roofs.

I had an oncoming boat try and wave me onto the wrong side of the navigation because he didn't want to drag his roof furniture into the tree branches.

I don't think so buddy! 

• Greenie 1