Mooring wanted for new 60ft NB

WickedWay

Featured Posts

Hello everyone...

We have a 2013 60ft Narrow boat, being dropped in on Tuesday.. Looking for a mooring on the K&A.

Best location would be rural, away from towns.. South West of K&A more towards Bath..

Along a bank, farmer's field, Marina, anywhere really... Anything considered.

Thanks all!!!

On 10/05/2017 at 18:39, WickedWay said:

We have a 2013 60ft Narrow boat, being dropped in on Tuesday.. Looking for a mooring on the K&A.

Best location would be rural, away from towns.. South West of K&A more towards Bath..

Along a bank, farmer's field, Marina, anywhere really... Anything considered.

You and about a hundred other narrowboaters!

I think your best bet will be one of the marinas. I've been keeping a weather eye open for a nice on-line mooring for a couple of years and still not found one. Are you looking for a liveaboard or a leisure mooring?

can never understand why peeps ask the impossible question only after they have bought the boat; presumably it never occurred to them to read the forums during the weeks/months while they were considering buying a boat.  Most people don't buy a boat an the spur of the moment, it is usually a dream that finally comes to reality.

'fail to prepare .... prepare to fail'

45 minutes ago, Starcoaster said:

Blimey, moon on a stick territory. Did you check out local offerings when you planned the build and area you wanted to be in? You might have to rethink some element of your plan because as MtB says, that area is kinda famously popular.

I don't think they had it built as its a 2013 boat, unless they fitted it out themselves and its taken 4 years.

Neil

As MtB said it's busy here on the K and A especially nearer Bath. Have a look at what CRT have to offer, also contact Caen Hill and Devizes marinas. Foxhangers nr Caen Hill flight would be worth contacting as well, be prepared for going on a waiting list. If you don't have a mooring be prepared to move every 14 days without fail and for some distance. 

On 10/05/2017 at 20:28, Starcoaster said:

Blimey, moon on a stick territory. Did you check out local offerings when you planned the build and area you wanted to be in? You might have to rethink some element of your plan because as MtB says, that area is kinda famously popular.

Your talent for understatement beautifully demonstrated.

Putting it bluntly, the OP doesn't stand a prayer of finding what they want for less than about £5-6k a year. It's no wonder we all CC.

On 11/05/2017 at 00:28, lulu fish said:

The entire canal is full, go away we don't want your type here.

This welcome was bought to you by the Canalworld welcoming committee.

Ignore Chris. He seems to have stopped taking his tablets again...

@WickedWay

Lulu Fish is not part of any welcoming committee, maybe it was meant to be funny.  Welcome to the forum; I hope you find a mooring.  Where was the boat when you purchased it?  get any mooring you can find and then go looking for something that suits better.  A marina is a good start until you are familiar with the boats capabilities - electricity system, engine, plumbing etc.

• Greenie 3

7 hours ago, lulu fish said:

I presume this was meant to be sarcastic?  If so, please remember that sarcasm doesn't always come over clearly in written form.  The OP is a new member and new to boating.  The boating community IRL is usually highly welcoming and supportive.  The OP may well not realise this yet, so therefore could be understandably offended by what you wrote.  

Welcome to the forum WickedWay.  I see you're based in Essex.  Does the mooring have to be on the K&A?  There are many other waterways closer to home where you'll have a better chance of finding a mooring.

7 hours ago, lulu fish said:

And what type is that then, you know nothing about the op so don't try and push them away after there first post.

Neil

• Greenie 1

I think, Neil, that Lulu's post was summing up the gist of the posts from other people, some of which could be seen as unwelcoming - though I am sure that their purpose was to give a realistic and honest picture of the mooring situation in that part of the canal network.

I do think that, to a newcomer, it could have been seen as unwelcoming in itself, but I do not think that that was its intention.

Now some people are thinking: "Lulu: You know you make me wanna shout..."

10 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

And what type is that then, you know nothing about the op so don't try and push them away after there first post.

Neil

As LuluFish is allegedly one of those 'Baton Twirling', CMer Squatters on the K&A, regularly appearing in the KANDA videos he/she probably means the 'type' that pay their way, have a nice boat and pay for a mooring and comply with the 'rules'.

We don't want that type here !!

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 3

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As LuluFish is allegedly one of those 'Baton Twirling', CMer Squatters on the K&A, regularly appearing in the KANDA videos he/she probably means the 'type' that pay their way, have a nice boat and pay for a mooring and comply with the 'rules'.

We don't want that type here !!

Oh I see now, I know nothing about her either.

Neil

3 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

Yes it did not come across that way to me, bit slow on the uptake.

Neil

I understood the Fishes post and understand a newb to the forum could have construed the earlier posters as somewhat hostile. No one meant to be hostile its just that the forum has to be " understood " and that takes time. Lulu fish is deffo a bloke.

I wonder if Wickedway actually needs a mooring in the K&A for a specific reason (work, proximity to family) or whether he just thought, "That looks like a nice scenic canal [which it is], let's moor there". If the latter, other options are available.

Mr. Way, perhaps you would let us know.

For a start, not everyone who's interested in or connected with inland waterways reads CWDF [yet!]

In addition, this is his first boat purchase. Many people would not think twice about moving to a new town, being confident that they would fairly easily find a house or flat in which to live there. It's not unnatural for someone to think that finding a berth on the canals will be just as easy.

Last October, on another thread, WickedWay wrote this:

"Hello Boaters!

Our 60ft NB is lying at Rochford, Essex and ready to be trucked to a canal.

Can anybody give me some choices of marinas that have a haul-in facility from a truck, as close as possible to our present location?

Maybe River Lee, Stort, Regents etc etc.

Many thanks,

Jon"

I wonder why the K&A has cropped up now?

29 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

Last October, on another thread, WickedWay wrote this:

"Hello Boaters!

Our 60ft NB is lying at Rochford, Essex and ready to be trucked to a canal.

Can anybody give me some choices of marinas that have a haul-in facility from a truck, as close as possible to our present location?

Maybe River Lee, Stort, Regents etc etc.

Many thanks,

Jon"

I wonder why the K&A has cropped up now?

Perhaps because they were looking for somewhere to launch it close to home, to minimise freighting costs by lorry (though I' not sure if it always works like that) but wanted to moor elsewhere, so they would take the boat to its ultimate mooring by water? That's exactly what we did with our last new boat, had it launched on the K&A then took it by water to Springwood Haven. I think it's quite common practice.

That said, the eight-month gap is surprising.