The best all round inverter charger to get?

Genty

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, Genty said:

Hello there,

what would you say is the best over all investor/charger I should get for my boat? 

From genty

Mastervolt, give or take a Victron or two.

On a serious note a inverter/charger is only one piece in a system, so it would be handy to know what system you already have before any serious recommendations, or if just starting from scratch what are you going to be doing with the boat, power requirements, what other devices you think you need, etc.

Edited by Robbo

Hello again

Sorry should of add this I'm doing a 70ft narrowboat boat but with 4 BISON 24volt outboards for the odd move but will be staying in the same place like a houseboat I guess you could say. So will have the normal life things to run fridge.washer.boiler

genty

Just now, Genty said:

Hello again

Sorry should of add this I'm doing a 70ft narrowboat boat but with 4 BISON 24volt outboards for the odd move but will be staying in the same place like a houseboat I guess you could say. So will have the normal life things to run fridge.washer.boiler

genty

If you are at the same place for the majority of the time, and I presume it will have shore power.  If this is the case then a inverter becomes more redundant.

So 1 st question, are you on shore power and how often will you be on shore power?

6 minutes ago, Robbo said:

If you are at the same place for the majority of the time, and I presume it will have shore power.  If this is the case then a inverter becomes more redundant.

So 1 st question, are you on shore power and how often will you be on shore power?

Probably going to moor on the K and A near bath? ;)

Just now, Genty said:

I'll be next to my land but not have shore power. I'll have a 400w wind turbine and 3 100w solar panels 

Unless you are going to live like a caveman the wind tuirbine and solar panels will be woefully undersized for liveaboard use. R u intending on a gennie or something to charge from?

3 minutes ago, Genty said:

I'll be next to my land but not have shore power. I'll have a 400w wind turbine and 3 100w solar panels 

I think you need to start at the other end and do a power audit and find out how much power you will be using per day.     This will show you how much power you need to generate per day but also what peaks you have (like runing a microwave). Personally I would put money into a built in generator if living aboard in winter and then solar for summer.  

This PDF is a good read... https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Book-Energy-Unlimited-EN.pdf

note the same technology it goes into is also in MasterVolt stuff as well as others.

2 minutes ago, Genty said:

I'm still learning just trying to get as much information as I can on what I need and the direction I should go in on things

People often underestimate how much leccy they will use. withouta full audit it is hard to predict what you will need. As a for instance I live off grid full time and have 440 amp hours of battery capacity and a bit of solar and as a rough idea depending on weather and time of year etc and useage we charge from the engine between 1 and 4 hours per day every day. Wind gennies are little better than useless.

28 minutes ago, Genty said:

Hello again

genty

The Bison Outboards are designed as Trolling Motors and will never provide enough Thrust for propelling a 70 foot steel Narrowboat,they will also need a substantial Battery bank

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

People often underestimate how much leccy they will use. withouta full audit it is hard to predict what you will need. As a for instance I live off grid full time and have 440 amp hours of battery capacity and a bit of solar and as a rough idea depending on weather and time of year etc and useage we charge from the engine between 1 and 4 hours per day every day. Wind gennies are little better than useless.

Wrong,Wind Gennies are good for Kickstarting an Ecofan

Edited by cereal tiller
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Genty said:

Thanks for the advice guys very helpful 

No problem just ask away. You will have realised by now though that " Cereal tiller " is away with the fairies :lol:

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

The Bison Outboards are designed as Trolling Motors and will never provide enough Thrust for propelling a 70 foot steel Narrowboat,they will also need a substantial Battery bank

Wrong,Wind Gennies are good for Kickstarting an Ecofan

A friend of mine has two 86ft/lb on his 40ft narrowboat and pushes him along pretty well 

3 minutes ago, Genty said:

A friend of mine has two 86ft/lb on his 40ft narrowboat and pushes him along pretty well 

Yes,on a Canal with no flow on a Windless day 2-3 Miles per hour could be achieved,but stopping the Bout or turning it against a crosswind could be difficult or even impossible,I use a Trolling motor on my Dinghy,nice things but they have their limitations 

1 minute ago, Genty said:

They are only for the odd move. Not going to be cruising or long trips she gonna be more of a movable houseboat but if need I can get more power electric outboards 

That's 'fine' but from where are you going to get the electricity to power them ?

If you currently live in 'bricks & mortar' and intend to life a similar lifestyle (dishwasher, washing machine, hair dryer, electric toaster etc etc) then you will already know your 'usual' electric consumption.

Whatever your existing consumption (in KwH) you will now need to generate on board.

A 400w wind generator and 300w of solar will just not do the job - you will probably be replacing your battery bank at least once per month as you kill the batteries by taking out more than you are putting in.

If you post your monthly electrical usage / bill you will get some suggestions as to what you will need to replicate that with on-board generation.

12 hours ago, Genty said:

nonsense units, I'm afraid.

electric outboards are measured as lbs thrust.

ft.lbs is a measure of torque.  (ft x lbs)

ft/lb is meaningless.  (ft divided by lbs).

On 09/04/2017 at 20:11, mrsmelly said:

I bet your neighbours LURVE that!

Don't you find it tiresome/wearing/plain noisy having the engine running for so much time moored up? Or do you mean you cruise 1 to 4 hours a day?