Stern Gland with Rings instead of Bolts

Featured Posts

Hi, I have a stern gland shown below which is assembled using rings rather than the more usual nuts and bolts. There are two rings (moved with a C-spanner). In the attached picture the top ring is nearer to the propeller. I need to know which ring do I adjust when too much water is coming in, and how do I dismantle it to re-pack it? Normally I would just try it and see, but I am aware that a mistake here could end up with a sunken boat! Any advice on this would be gratefully received.

Stern Gland 03.jpg

40 minutes ago, Rod_N said:

Hi, I have a stern gland shown below which is assembled using rings rather than the more usual nuts and bolts. There are two rings (moved with a C-spanner). In the attached picture the top ring is nearer to the propeller. I need to know which ring do I adjust when too much water is coming in, and how do I dismantle it to re-pack it? Normally I would just try it and see, but I am aware that a mistake here could end up with a sunken boat! Any advice on this would be gratefully received.

Stern Gland 03.jpg

The  upper ring is the locking nut & the lower with the shaft sticking out is pusher.

Quite common, you need a couple of "C" hook spanners to adjust. You can get away with one but two make the operation a little easier.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=c hook spanner &qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=c hook spanner &sc=3-15&sp=-1&sk=

Lots of threads on adjustment, just use the basic "search" function and type in "stern gland."

DSCF6110.jpg

Edited by Ray T

The one nearest the top of the photo and the stern of the boat is the lock nut. Turn anti clockwise to slacken.

The other one is the adjuster, which can be screwed in (clockwise) to tighten, or unscrewed completely, along with the lock nut, when replacing the packing.

5 hours ago, Rod_N said:

Many thanks for those helpful replies. I think I understand it now. Cheers!

As for re packing just back the one nearest engine right off first then the other ALWAYS remove old packing completely before putting new in.