How do i check a boats registration number??

Chas78

Featured Posts

Would like to check the registration number to find out a bit of info before i view that's all unsure.png

Checking it will give you very little info. Boat length, builder, name, and engine hp is about all, I expect you already know these if you've arranged a viewing or seen an advert. The boat list on Canalplan is well out of date with a lot of inaccuracies any way.

• Greenie 1

Checking it will give you very little info. Boat length, builder, name, and engine hp is about all, I expect you already know these if you've arranged a viewing or seen an advert. The boat list on Canalplan is well out of date with a lot of inaccuracies any way.

I have checked several boats on Canalplan which have been out the water years that are still on there and they have come up with different lengths to what is actually advertised which is important to me as the mooring i have is very restricted sometimes you get the builders name and what hull it has.

Just take a tape measure and measure it yourself, as often boats are slightly longer when finished then the builders original planned length and are often still registered as the size they should of been when the build was started not when completed

Edited by Northernboater

I have checked several boats on Canalplan which have been out the water years that are still on there and they have come up with different lengths to what is actually advertised which is important to me as the mooring i have is very restricted sometimes you get the builders name and what hull it has.

The canalplan data comes from CRT, and is the data submitted when applying for a licence. When applying for a licence it is not unknown for a boat to get shorter. Equally when selling boats occasionally get longer.

The length on canalplan is no more reliable than than the length stated in the advert, and neither is as reliable as your tape measure.

Anyway the length is not that easy to define as might first appear. Do you include the rudder sticking out at the back? And do you lift the bow fender?

Anyway the length is not that easy to define as might first appear. Do you include the rudder sticking out at the back? And do you lift the bow fender?

I've always understood that the stern fender should stick out past the rudder (otherwise what's the point of having one?) and that boat length included stern and bow fenders.

Is that not right?

I've always understood that the stern fender should stick out past the rudder (otherwise what's the point of having one?) and that boat length included stern and bow fenders.

Is that not right?

Yes that's what CRT say should be used when licencing.

But last time this debate occurred on here a number of posters felt that the bare hull length excluding fenders and rudder should be the figure used when defining a boat length. I felt rather shouted down at the time.

I think my income for tax purposes should be taken from the nett figure after I've been shopping, had a meal and spent a night in the pub. Feeling that's what it should be though has little impact on HMRC.

Edited by WotEver
  • Greenie 1

Blimey all i wanted was to get a little info on my pre-purchase boat and i have tape measures rudders and expensive meals!!! lol thanks for the info all i do appreciate really clapping.gif i went to see the boat in question today and was very impressed i think this needs a new post which i will compose for you all to peruse over captain.gif

How do you measure a boat's length? Not possible with only a tape measure! do you put planks out from the towpath? Extend the roof line with poles?

Not too difficult. Just measure along the centreline from bow and stern to the cabin bulkheads, and then measure internally, and add the resulting measurements.

Juts attach an object to the stern or bow get a laser measuring device point it at the object from the other end and away you go end of wow i just answered my own question clapping.gif

Sorry to pick holes but the obvious flaw in this plan is you can't see the bow from the stern!

(So nor can your 'laser measuring device'.)

I always wondered what Whio's stated length included. It was not until we were along side a plank decked pontoon that I could sight along the planks to determine both the bow and stern location against the pontoon deck. A tape measure along the pontoon determined that the stated length was the actual hull length. Fenders and rudder overhang were additional.