Removing old bitumen when blacking

Featured Posts

It looks painfully slow.

If your doing a lot I would hire the professional 8 disc version.

I used a WhirlAway, an american attachment for an angle grinder, but still a scabbler. It removed the thick, hardened bitumen, but just skated over the surface of a single layer. (possibly as a needle gun chips away at thickened old paint or rust, but ineffective on thin layers) - At no time did it clog, but it didn't like the odd spots of weld or splatter that it found!

Do you have a link for it?, I can't find the angle grinder version.

Edited by Robbo

Do you have a link for it?, I can't find the angle grinder version.

A Google for 'angle grinder whirl away' results in...

http://trelawnyspt.com/products/whirl-away-rotary-scabbler

It looks painfully slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3IH7468VEc

It is, with a single or dual, so you'd want to follow Robbo's advice.

Well I will let you know how it goes. There comes a point when you just have to make a decision and learn from experience. I have gone for the triple ( after discussion with my wife) to speed things up and have used the single briefly at Crick. The angle grinder and scraper is not cutting the mustard to get the quality of finish I have learnt I want. Yes it is not cheap but nor is hiring or having the work done professionally. It is the old price v time v quality.

I take on board advice about being gentle and do not use in corners, edges etc. I am also grabbing the time slots when the dew point difference/humidity is suitable to enable blacking shortly after getting back to bare metal; not easy this time of year.

You have all been a great help. Thanks.

We've used a Perrago and were most impressed, but wouldn't try doing a whole hull with one.

No one has mentioned shotblasting... A lot of grief, and not many places to get it done, but unbeatable if you want to get everything off and make a really clean start.

Having said that, I think the moonscape effect looks pretty good. Even if you've got lovely shiny cabin work, a workmanlike looking hull is no bad thing.

Manufactured by Beckwith Consumer Products, LLC who appear to be a one man band (Mr Beckwith) and still going - but only in the US.