Boat Buying Checklist - HELP!

Holly Lacey

Featured Posts

It's a very 'girly' listing. Nowt about engine hours, batteries, inverter (don't think it has one), heating...

It looks lovely but I think you'd be well advised to take an experienced boater along with you when you view. Plus have a survey of course.

Edited by WotEver

It's a very 'girly' listing. Nowt about engine hours, batteries, inverter (don't think it has one), heating...

It looks lovely but I think you'd be well advised to take an experienced boater along with you when you view. Plus have a survey of course.

Yeah that's amongst some of the questions I have. Is there a thread anywhere in here where I can potentially ask experienced boaters to have a look at boats with me? If someone's about in that particular area and wouldn't mind sparing an hour or so, it'd would be really helpful.

It does actually specify that it has diesel central heating, but yes, technical info is a bit thin on the ground!

My thoughts too. Any boat can be made to look like that nice inside with some serious effort with a paint brush, soft furnishings and a flair for interior design.

It may or may not be a structurally and technically sound boat but there is virtually no information in the ad to help assess it.

Yeah that's amongst some of the questions I have. Is there a thread anywhere in here where I can potentially ask experienced boaters to have a look at boats with me? If someone's about in that particular area and wouldn't mind sparing an hour or so, it'd would be really helpful.

If you're definitely wanting to view it then I suggest a new thread "Anyone near Tring able to view a boat with me?" is likely to get the most notice.

One here It was an ex hire boat with Galley Marine, its not the newest, but from a very well respected builder of the time, I would negotiate the price.

I agree. £30k for a 30 year old boat is a LOT, whoever the builder. I'd want to see some evidence it was a Les Allen, didn't know he ever built cruiser sterns...

I agree. £30k for a 30 year old boat is a LOT, whoever the builder. I'd want to see some evidence it was a Les Allen, didn't know he ever built cruiser sterns...

I've seen a lot of boats similar to this all around this kinda price. Is it possible to bring them down a bit, and realistically how far?

I've seen a lot of boats similar to this all around this kinda price. Is it possible to bring them down a bit, and realistically how far?

I doubt it. Les Allen cruiser stern boats are rare!

I;d have thought it £20k would be more like it for a short boat 30 years old, but it all depends on the seller, how keen they are to sell, and how much you make them they like you. And your negotiating ability obviously.

Oh, and how far away from London it is.

There were three Less Allen Crusiers in the Galley Marine fleet, Explorer, Wayfarer 2, Traveller 2.. I was working at Galley at the time and know them well, have a photo of Wayfarer 2 when new in Gailey Colours somewhere. Wayfarer 2 shows up on the Allen's Register (No 135 renamed Ursula) making the one for sale the sister, the ex Traveller 2.. Engines were all originally BMC 1.5/PRM160 so these would be re-engined now..

Looks okay on the outside but no internal pics and not a lot of info to go on. It has a lot of hours on the engine, maybe getting on for too many. That would probably put me off a bit. If it has a nice fit out it will probably sell easily for a few grand below asking price in today's market. I don't think I'd want to pay more than £22k for it, if that.

Narrowboat prices are always a guide. I would suggest 20-25% off the asking and starting from there.. One thing, the older the boat, the more likely you are to find BSS related, and level 1 maintenance issues that need addressing, have it written into any offer that the seller resolves these based on the survey findings..

Narrowboat prices are always a guide. I would suggest 20-25% off the asking and starting from there.. One thing, the older the boat, the more likely you are to find BSS related, and level 1 maintenance issues that need addressing, have it written into any offer that the seller resolves these based on the survey findings..

Thanks for the tip. It's good to get an understanding of what a suitable initial offer would be to avoid being too insulting!

Narrowboat prices are always a guide. I would suggest 20-25% off the asking and starting from there..

A gross over-generalisation I would say. Offer too much under a genuinely reasonable asking price and you risk alienating the seller unless you do it very skillfully. People get very emotionally attached to their boats and taking the p!ss with a opening offer 25% off risks them telling you to fark orff and stop insulting them.

A gross over-generalisation I would say. Offer too much under a genuinely reasonable asking price and you risk alienating the seller unless you do it very skillfully. People get very emotionally attached to their boats and taking the p!ss with a opening offer 25% off risks them telling you to fark orff and stop insulting them.

This is good advice. A lot of sellers will take a very low offer as an insult to their pride and joy and then be more stubborn with the price.

I just searched on Apollo. Jesus, there isn't much about in that price range in the moment is there? Different to a few years back.

This is good advice. A lot of sellers will take a very low offer as an insult to their pride and joy and then be more stubborn with the price.I just searched on Apollo. Jesus, there isn't much about in that price range in the moment is there? Different to a few years back.

I've seen a lot in the £30-£35k bracket but never thought I could make a reasonable offer on these, again without it seeming insulting but some really don't look to be worth that much, especially considering the length and age.

I've seen a lot in the £30-£35k bracket but never thought I could make a reasonable offer on these, again without it seeming insulting but some really don't look to be worth that much, especially considering the length and age.

There is an art to making a low offer with being insulting. One way is something along the lines of...

"Well its a FANTATIC boat, exactly what I'm looking for. Better than I expected actually. Trouble is, I was hoping to make you a low offer of, say £<25% off> but I can see it is actually worth your asking price, so I won't insult you by offering £,25% off> as I know you wouldn't take it. Allow a pregnant silence to pervade the atmosphere. WAIT for them to speak first!

There is an art to making a low offer with being insulting. One way is something along the lines of...

"Well its a FANTATIC boat, exactly what I'm looking for. Better than I expected actually. Trouble is, I was hoping to make you a low offer of, say £<25% off> but I can see it is actually worth your asking price, so I won't insult you by offering £,25% off> as I know you wouldn't take it. Allow a pregnant silence to pervade the atmosphere. WAIT for them to speak first!

I can see how the overall tactic makes sense, but surely you don't want to actively reassure them that if you just walk away, someone else will be along shortly who's prepared to pay the full asking price?!

Edited by magictime
  • Greenie 1

When i bought my first and only so far boat 4 years ago i bought it for 9 K below the asking price of 40K . It was a resi mooring i didn t want and so my offer reflected the fact i didn t want to pay any " premium " to take the mooring on .

My " method " with the purchase was to adopt the same attitude i have to much of life in general ........ Don t bullshit , be honest .

So alot like MtBs comments above i simply said something along the lines of " i like the boat , im happy to put in an offer subject to survey , but i simply cannot stretch to your asking price im afraid . Im not taking the piss , im not trying to insult you - but i cannot go beyond £Xxxx . I will need to pay for XYZ to be done on the boat and my offer is , i feel , a fair one . I understand if its not acceptable , business is business afterall but i genuinely cannot go beyond the price of my offer . Id very much like to buy but understand if you are reluctant to sell "

Thats it really . My approach . No bullshit , be honest but make sure you have the funds to back up the offer if accepted .

I might well look to sell my 58 ft trad later this summer in 6 months or so . I think it would be an excellent boat for the OP but i cannot sell just now . Due to my financial situation i will need to sell it before buying the next boat and will sell it at a fair price where buyer and seller are happy . Its down London way so i could go for a piss take price as many do down here - i cannot believe the prices some crap goes on the market for down here !

My attitude to selling will be the same as buying as i can t be bothered with any nonsense .

just some thoughts

cheers

Edited by chubby

Always let the seller know that you have another boat or boats to look at later that day (even to the point of asking the best way of getting to location x from their location), if they want to sell the boat this plants the idea in their head that you might not buy their boat if you see another.

Always haggle... the seller probably has a price that they need from the boat and they will have added some extra on to get a "nice to have" price and then added a bit more to allow for being knocked down a bit. If the price is a round figure (or £5 short of it) they are probably expecting an offer that is next round figure below it and to haggle from there (i.e. 30k down to 25k and haggle to somewhere around 26-28)

when making an offer let the seller know when they can expect the cash if they accept the offer i.e. "25 thousand by bank transfer within 24 hours assuming the survey is good"