What's left to restore?

Canal Cuttings

Featured Posts

The Dee locks didn't look in too bad shape last week. However, there would need to be seen serious digging and tree work to get out the bottom end, silt banks right up the stop planks.

20170126_110740_zpssw7ej6mr.jpg

I read somewhere (maybe even here) that the lock was originally built on wooden piles with a wooden floor, which has failed. If you put gates on and tried to fill it, the water would just flow out underneath.....

MP.

I read somewhere (maybe even here) that the lock was originally built on wooden piles with a wooden floor, which has failed. If you put gates on and tried to fill it, the water would just flow out underneath.....

MP.

Possibly true, indeed probably true, but you don't really need those gates, although they have been used to get as many boats out as possible - the main chamber was moved above the bridge in the 1960's

The fact the bottom paddles have been moved away from the entrance may explain the silting though

Interesting view. The Wilts & Berks to Melksham might fall into that category, too.

It's that sort of thing I was thinking of: My personal vision for this part of the world for the next 10-20 years would be Coal Canal to Combe Hay, Wilts and Berks To Melksham or Possible Calne, and Dorset and Somerset to Frome - all extensions to a very popular length of canal that is constrained by the locks at Devizes.

I would hope the whole of the Coal Canal might be done, but am aware that the Combe Hay flight presents a barrier to cruising on a similar scale to Caen Hill, and with not much above it so many people will turn back at Combe Hay (I suspect)

MP.

Lower gates are not usually badly affected by the wooden floor/piles construction, as it is the head of the chamber that is damaged by water exiting through the ground paddles, as this photo of one of the Yorkshire L&LC locks shows. However, the Dee is now probably flowing faster than when the lock was built, resulting in the bed of the river being scoured, and this could have created problems by lowering the water table around the lock. For those interested in canal building, I am currently translating the section on lock floors in a 200-year-old Austrian book on canal construction, and hope to have the translated book ready for publication by the end of the year.

gallery_6938_1_104733.jpg

Possibly the first short length of the Hollinwood branch of the Ashton Canal, in Droylesden, may have seen a pleasure boat?

I should think that some time in the future this will be restored as provision for through traffic was made at the marina at Fairfield Junction

Edited by jam

Adding extra miles to the network provides more cruising opportunity and gets boats to new places. Yet there are existing waterways that could do with more regular visits such as the BCN Tame Valley, Walsall and Wyrley & Essington. Restoring the Bradley Canal would hopefully provide a reason for boaters to use these stretches more. And, whilst this theme might launch Laurence Hogg on another complaint that involves rubbish and lack of boating depth, the need for better use along them remains paramount

Adding extra miles to the network provides more cruising opportunity and gets boats to new places. Yet there are existing waterways that could do with more regular visits such as the BCN Tame Valley, Walsall and Wyrley & Essington. Restoring the Bradley Canal would hopefully provide a reason for boaters to use these stretches more. And, whilst this theme might launch Laurence Hogg on another complaint that involves rubbish and lack of boating depth, the need for better use along them remains paramount

Exactly what do you mean by the comment above?? Although I have now had to give up boating my last few years were spent helping to improve the lesser used parts of the BCN with a deep drafted boat, most of the recent dredging was done on the reports Dean Davies and his colleagues made when onboard "Barnet". Most of the BCN is now better than it has been for years!

Yes Laurence you did, and there is no dispute with that. Sadly there are those that still dump rubbish along the BCN and whilst the work boat PHOENIX is kept busy the problem will remain as long as a section of our society chooses canal locations as tipping grounds.

Putting aside this aspect certain threads on this discussion group has argued the futility of using the Walsall and Tame Valley, which is a pity because they deserve more traffic, A few more pubs on this route might help too.

Yes Laurence you did, and there is no dispute with that. Sadly there are those that still dump rubbish along the BCN and whilst the work boat PHOENIX is kept busy the problem will remain as long as a section of our society chooses canal locations as tipping grounds.

Putting aside this aspect certain threads on this discussion group has argued the futility of using the Walsall and Tame Valley, which is a pity because they deserve more traffic, A few more pubs on this route might help too.

A lot of the fun with a 3' draught boat on the Tame Valley is rocking over the assorted debris under the high bridges.

I wouldn't want to do it if I had any concerns about the baseplate, though.

I did think CRT had improved this section, but then this route remains a target for those who fly tip.

Sad

On another subject, The Somerset Coal Canal deserves more attention, but what parts. Would Wellow Tunnel be ever part of the restoration?

I did think CRT had improved this section, but then this route remains a target for those who fly tip.

Sad

On another subject, The Somerset Coal Canal deserves more attention, but what parts. Would Wellow Tunnel be ever part of the restoration?

I believe that active restoration has started, but there is one amongst us who'll know far more about that than I do.

The Griff Colliery Arm of the Coventry, near Bedworth, is also apparently due to be reopened, with a marina at its end.