What to ask for in fitout?

JJPHG

Featured Posts

Thanks everybody,

To answer a few questions, yes it will be my first boat but I think pretty much know what I want (granted that's different from what I need!). I've done quite a lot of 12V living - caravan in Europe and over here our motorhome quite a bit out bush, so 'learnt' what is needed (Air Con and heater for example over here). The 650 is based on everything I could conceivable wish for (Washing Machine, slow cooker, electric heater in the morning etc etc) and my theory is if I work to that then any less used is a bonus. My feeling is that 450 is more likely usage. I do take your point though and certainly will go into the melting pot of consideration.

As for the stage of finish - I'm was thinking completely, paint the works mainly because I won't be able to manage or do things from this side of the world (although I do have family back home who could help out) and a complete finish and paint is likely to be easier in one build.

I think from the sound of it that to be virtually self sufficient power wise a widebeam is the way to go to accommodate the batteries (I like the sound of the lithium ones) and solar panels needed, but yes, to have access to a greater network narrowboat is a must. More for the old pot.

I think I will have to send my sister along to Crick in May!

Hi I have a 57 x 12 widebeam with wheelhouse it is a very comfy place to live I have washer, diswasher etc on board. I have 2 banks of full traction batteries 720 ah each I also have solar and a whispergen to provide heat and recharge facility for the batteries. Heating is taken care of by a Rayburn Royal which heats water and rads, but is also a very good cooker Now this is my second boat my first was a narrowboat, which whilst nice it was shall we say cosy? I did most of the system in her, but as soon as I needed to really live somewhere I upgraded to a widebeam it is like night and day, if I am honest it would have to be a very special narrowboat to get me to go back to one.

I have recently bought a Broads cruiser which I am going to play with for a while I am thinking of making it an electric boat as I have all the equipment to do it and think it will make a very quiet and pleasant boat.

If I can help at all just ask

Peter

.... as I needed to really live somewhere I upgraded to a widebeam it is like night and day, if I am honest it would have to be a very special narrowboat to get me to go back to one...

My initial thoughts were along the lines of a widebeam. My main (only) concern is the size and single handed locking (which for the most part I will be doing), and just how difficult it would be. Sure it would be nice to have access to more of the network but I could (probably) get by CC'ing the northern network

My initial thoughts were along the lines of a widebeam. My main (only) concern is the size and single handed locking (which for the most part I will be doing), and just how difficult it would be. Sure it would be nice to have access to more of the network but I could (probably) get by CC'ing the northern network

Single handing a wide beam is no different than a narrowboat. it's really the length that makes it harder when in locks.

I single hand my 50x12ft quite easily. Been physically active is the main thing as you'll be climbing lock ladders and pulling the boat with ropes (swing bridges) alot more.

Single handing a wide beam is no different than a narrowboat. it's really the length that makes it harder when in locks.

I single hand my 50x12ft quite easily. Been physically active is the main thing as you'll be climbing lock ladders and pulling the boat with ropes (swing bridges) alot more.

When single handing it gets easier if you look ahead to see what's coming up (lock, swing bridge etc), and plan your strategy to deal with it before you get there.

Consequently the hardest thing I find about single handing is when other people turn up and insist on 'helping'. It completely messes up your plan for how to go through yet it seems so churlish to tell people (for example) "no thank you, leave that gate alone!"

Like Robbo says its not much harder to single hand a widebeam than a narrowboat and the rewards of the extra room make it worthwhile 57 x 12 on Northern waterways is very practical. I will be out next week single handed and whilst it slows you down its no worse than a narrowboat except on manual locks

Like Robbo says its not much harder to single hand a widebeam than a narrowboat and the rewards of the extra room make it worthwhile 57 x 12 on Northern waterways is very practical. I will be out next week single handed and whilst it slows you down its no worse than a narrowboat except on manual locks

If by 'manual' you just mean 'non-electric', aren't the vast majority of locks 'manual'? There are a few electric locks on the A&C, but I can't think of any others I've come across in my cruises around the North.