heating systems

Featured Posts

I'm retired with a part time job to top up the pension. I can't afford an EV car, even a second hand one. My car is 20 years old, a Subaru, and cost me £500.

Find me a reliable EV car for that sort of money and I'll convert.

6 minutes ago, manxmike said:

I'm retired with a part time job to top up the pension. I can't afford an EV car, even a second hand one. My car is 20 years old, a Subaru, and cost me £500.

Find me a reliable EV car for that sort of money and I'll convert.

You can't, it'll be many years until secondhand "EV bangers" are that cheap. Until then you're at the tail-end of the car pipeline, so you have to stick with ICE. No worries... 🙂

Well I reckon I have found the solution, Bung a hose on the big burner on my mains gas cooker, run that to the compressor in the shed, turn the compressor on and it will compress the gas to a liquid and pour that into old Calor cylinders. Might be a bit of leakage so best to do it on windy days.

19 hours ago, IanD said:

Actually the percentage of annual UK electricity coming from renewables passed 40% some time ago and is heading towards 50%:

https://energyadvicehub.org/record-high-of-uk-electricity-is-generated-by-renewables-says-energy-trends-report/

With the typical energy mix (UK/EU) from about a year ago, the lifetime CO2 burden of EVs (including materials, mining, manufacture, energy used during lifetime, and disposal) is about a third of ICE. As the grid renewable percentage goes up, this difference will get even bigger.

Does that answer your question?

As far as cyclists are concerned, yes they can be a PITA for you sitting in your car, but then they're much *much* greener than you are so maybe you should cut them a bit of slack... 😉

Before the environmentalists hijacked it the term "green" meant "wet behind the ears" or lacking in knowledge.

This is certainly the case with many cyclists I have seen, particularly with respect to rules appertaining to traffic lights, riding on footpaths, using lights when it's  dark and common sense when squeezing up the inside of LGV's clearly indicating left.

Its funny there isn't a suitable term for people who are not 'green'. 

Less green seems a bit clumsy. 

Maybe non environmentally friendly people could be called 'brown people'. 

Oh hang on ! 

Carbon Crusader. 

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Before the environmentalists hijacked it the term "green" meant "wet behind the ears" or lacking in knowledge.

This is certainly the case with many cyclists I have seen, particularly with respect to rules appertaining to traffic lights, riding on footpaths, using lights when it's  dark and common sense when squeezing up the inside of LGV's clearly indicating left.

Yeah, some cyclists are complete pillocks, aren't they?

But then so are some motorists. And some boaters. And some people who post on internet forums.

Basically, some people are pillocks, no matter what they're doing.

The fact remains, the cyclist out on the road whether misbehaving or not is contributing far less to global warming than the car drivers they're annoying...

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Yeah, some cyclists are complete pillocks, aren't they?

But then so are some motorists. And some boaters. And some people who post on internet forums.

Basically, some people are pillocks, no matter what they're doing.

The fact remains, the cyclist out on the road whether misbehaving or not is contributing far less to global warming than the car drivers they're annoying...

Ah but have you taken into account the global warming effect of the steam coming out of the drivers ears?.. 🤣😂

6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Ah but have you taken into account the global warming effect of the steam coming out of the drivers ears?.. 🤣😂

No, and not the fetid hot air and methane coming out of other orifices either... 😉

Edited by IanD

I have heard that there is a certain amount of environmental damage done during the extraction of lithium for use in EV's. I wonder what the effect this has on the overall carbon cost, long term.  There may also be health and social costs, for those who are employed in its mining.