Esse Plus 1 solid wood cooker on narrowboat

Phillip

Featured Posts

Evening everybody,

I have just joined the forum and am looking for some advice on installing an Esse plus 1 on a narrowboat. I have read up on the latest regulations surrounding the installation of a wood fired stove on a narrowboat. My only concern is the the flue height and creating enough up draught, 12Pa I believe. I have spoke with Esse but they will not officially recommend a flue length less than 4.6m. I have seen pictures of Aga/Rayburns installed on N.B but are unsure if they are wood fired. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with wood fired cooker flue heights? Thanks!

esseplus1.jpg

Esse Plus 1

Barolo_interior_0126_600.jpg

A sample of some installations I have seen.

Thanks for the replies. It is just wood yes but the dimensions of it seem to be in proportion to the rest of the boat so I am satisfied with the size. Its good to know most work with a 2m flue. I have come across a chimney cowl called a flue cube, which seems to create a vortex by mixing the hot and cold air thus creating more of a vacuum to draw air up. I wonder if anyone has had any experience with this?

Why don't you put this in the relevant Forum "Equipment" "Boat Building & Maintenance" or "Living Afloat" as not really "New to Boating" as your have a boat. Too many people seam to put everything in this forum when not really relevant, getting a bit bored with "New boaters" asking about technical info.

Edited by Northernboater

Why don't you put this in the relevant Forum "Equipment" "Boat Building & Maintenance" or "Living Afloat" as not really "New to Boating" as your have a boat. Too many people seam to put everything in this forum when not really relevant, getting a bit bored with "New boaters" asking about technical info.

Are you the Grinch in disguise?

Aw come on, cut a newbie some slack, and if it pisses you off so much just skip over it and read something else.

Phil

• Greenie 3

Looking at the picture of the Esse, if that was it in the top picture, may I suggest that a better option would be to find a stove manufacturer who designs their stove so that the fire is under the oven? Heat rises, and an oven above the fire works far better. We have a stove called an MBS Termo Vulcan that has the oven above the fire, and it raises the oven temperature from cold to over 200c quicker than our modern electric oven can.

Also new to the forum with only three posts - many years ago I came on here not new to boating but new to the forum and new to forums generally, I probably posted my question in the wrong place.

You can always PM the mods (of which I am one) and ask us to move it? No one else can move threads between forums once they've started

Phillip, welcome to the forum by the way, long may you contribute and help us prosper