Stockton GU to Ringstead on the Nene..?

rivergate

Featured Posts

Are there any current stoppages between these two points..?

Ive checked CRT and river websites and cant see anything but anyone know anything not listed..?

Cheers

Jon

Do you do Facebook, there is a river Nene group there for up to date info https://www.facebook.com/groups/709263659157954/

smile.png ..its about 5 fields from our home and 3 from my sons scout group smile.png lol

..the new moorings seem like a nice place actually..?

Whats the flight in Northampton like..?

The top 13 locks on the Northampton Arm are pretty easy to work, though there is a tendency (eg if someone leaves a gate open, or vandalism) for a pound or two to empty, and need refilling. The last four or so can get a bit weedy and rather shallow.

Given your crew, and the shortness of the days, I would reckon two full length days from Gayton Junction to Ringstead, stopping at Billing (marina entrance on the left after the lock, just before the road bridge). 15 hours. 26 miles and 36 locks.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

The top 13 locks on the Northampton Arm are pretty easy to work, though there is a tendency (eg if someone leaves a gate open, or vandalism) for a pound or two to empty, and need refilling. The last four or so can get a bit weedy and rather shallow.

Given your crew, and the shortness of the days, I would reckon two full length days from Gayton Junction to Ringstead, stopping at Billing (marina entrance on the left after the lock, just before the road bridge). 15 hours. 26 miles and 36 locks.

It's not the gates, but the leaks in the pounds themsleves.

Thanks Simon....Id hoped it was 3 days from start to finish but I guess its looking like 4 really..?

I would say so. Unless you like cruising in the dark on an unfamiliar river.... 25 hours in total from Stockton top lock, according to canaplan.

It's not the gates, but the leaks in the pounds themsleves.

Thanks - I didn't know that...

Will see you there in March as we are returning from the Netherlands and have got a mooring there. Was looking forward to English pubs again, oh well.

Just down river, its quicker to walk the road, is the Cock at Denford an unspoilt local with good beer.

I did hear that The Mill now serves real ale.

Edited by Loddon