Replace old inboard with outboard

Viki

Featured Posts

I am not sure how they say £500 if they dont know whats wrong with it. They may connect a battery and fuel tank, turn the key and it starts. Old diesels often do that.

The Op says they said £500 to get it going if there is nothing wrong with it.

The corollary being if there turns out to be things wrong with it, the £500 bill will probably cover identifying (but not fixing) them.

I think if the engine rotates ie not seized then there is a great chance it will run again, it depends what state it was in when it was last run.

It might need new injectors, glowplugs, maybe a complete pump overhall, but if there is excessive engine wear... then you are looking at some big costs.

We have a honda 15 on a 1000kg grp narrow beam cruiser, great on our boat, it has given many years of service so far, but the generator output is very low, we even upgraded to the 10 amp coil, but at cruising speed with 2000 rpm, are lucky to get 5 amps. So not enough to run a lot, shower pump water pump, but if you have an electric bilge pump and need it, then you will not have enough power.

The advantage is though, very quiet indeed, no vibration, we consume 1.5 litres an hour at 5mph, but that is for a one ton boat, you will use considerably more as you will be a near max revs most of the time,

Planning to get petrol is a major task, the BSS only allow you to carry a limited amount of petrol, and storage in specially designed lockers with lower drains and all petrol has to be carried long distances, as there are no waterside fuel pumps, added to that, the petrol stations limit you to two 5 litre or 10 litre containers if you are lucky, so my wife and I go to petrol stations a few minutes apart, buy the fuel seperately and walk away...

If I had a choice with a larger boat, I would opt for a diesel with a calorifier for hot water, and a couple of large alternators, say 100 amp a piece,

To supplement the lack of output from the outboard, you would need banks of solar panels, you are now way over the price of £500 for fixing the engine.

As already said, choose your cruising ground carefully, as you will be limited to wide canals, or the River Thames.

best of luck with your choice.

Richard

• Greenie 1

The Op says they said £500 to get it going if there is nothing wrong with it.

The corollary being if there turns out to be things wrong with it, the £500 bill will probably cover identifying (but not fixing) them.

Having been involved in such projects, I thought £500 was a bargain!

Richard

Having been involved in such projects, I thought £500 was a bargain!

Richard

Sounds a bit pricey to me for an easy day spent getting a laid up engine up and running again!

Note that the price was only stated to be valid if no problems cropped up.

Thanks again for all the answers. Keeping the engine - seems it is going after all, or at least turning over, so along with the comments info the outboard idea is out. Now it's just the water draft to ponder. Interestingly it seems Springer narrow boats have a 3 foot draft so 'get a narrow boat' doesn't solve that.

The 3' draft may not be such an issue, as being a cruiser it is almost certainly vee bottomed and is less of a problem when mooring up.

One more important consideration would be the air draft, as many steel river cruisers are too tall to pass under canal bridges.

Thanks again for all the answers. Keeping the engine - seems it is going after all, or at least turning over, so along with the comments info the outboard idea is out. Now it's just the water draft to ponder. Interestingly it seems Springer narrow boats have a 3 foot draft so 'get a narrow boat' doesn't solve that.

Unless it has already sunk, I would be very surprised if any Springer has a 3 foot draft. Springers can "float on a piece of damp paper", so an 18 inch draft is more likely, 2 foot maximum.

Here is a nice slightly 2nd hand O/B for sale.

Price EXCLUDES VAT

For Sale:

YAMAHA F70EFI 73 hours!
Price:
€6,000 +VAT
Description:
We have here YAMAHA F70AETL "as new" condition, 73 motor hours only! Including brand new controls. Delivery to your door within UK - no problem. Priced 6.000 EUR EXW (VAT excl.)

Really?!

Where did you discover this? Was it Naughty Cal told you?