Delayed prop turn - PRM120D

lampini

Featured Posts

Bowled over and deeply grateful for all the above info - I really WILL read it today Mr Ross - I thort it was the same pdf manual I had, but then I was trying to read it on the tiny screen of my phone in a short work break!

Feel lots more confident about wots wot now. Got an honest and v respected mechanic round here so after doing the cable test tomorrow I'll be consulting with him - it may end up being after Crimbo now.. He's good but v in demand!

Ps. It's been a rubbish week for driving a bus round these parts this week; I've had freezing fog at 5.30am (10mph max..), a bus with steam pouring out of the heating vents at 6am - couldn't see the passengers on the back seat from my driving position ( different days!) a broken headlight at dusk and a disintegrated differential..... Aaaargh........

So seriously, thanks!

The cone itself is about £175 from ASAP. I had a bad experience getting a Hurth re-clutched, but then I didn't know where to find a reputable repairer back then wink.png

I spoke to Lancing Marine and they advised a new box for the price difference. Existing box was 10 years old and 3000 hours. Went with their advice but got box from ASAP as cheaper. By the way my box was PRM 80. Price difference on my box was only £150 between repairing old one and buying a new one. No labour charges as I fitted the new one myself. It's an easy job .I asked Lancing about upgrade to 120 and they said why bother as clutch cones same in both units.

I spoke to Lancing Marine and they advised a new box for the price difference. Existing box was 10 years old and 3000 hours. Went with their advice but got box from ASAP as cheaper. By the way my box was PRM 80. Price difference on my box was only £150 between repairing old one and buying a new one. No labour charges as I fitted the new one myself. It's an easy job .I asked Lancing about upgrade to 120 and they said why bother as clutch cones same in both units.

What did you pay?

Sorry I haven't updated, looks like it is the clutch slipping... My wallet is flinching already! This is now on the shelf until after Crimble.... :-(

The only clutches on the vast majority of marine transmissions are in the gearbox. You probably mean the drive plate that is bolted to the flywheel but if it has failed sufficiently to prevent all drive I would have expected it make horrible noises before it failed.

What do the drive splines look like on the old box?

Definitely check it with no cable attached as per mross.

The only clutches on the vast majority of marine transmissions are in the gearbox. You probably mean the drive plate that is bolted to the flywheel but if it has failed sufficiently to prevent all drive I would have expected it make horrible noises before it failed.

What do the drive splines look like on the old box?

Definitely check it with no cable attached as per mross.

This is a PRM120, Tony - the little one with two sintered cone clutches.

Richard

This is a PRM120, Tony - the little one with two sintered cone clutches.

Richard

Yes I know, but I thought this was a new box that was bought from ASAP and fitted by the OP - unless we have two people with the same problem in the same topic. The chances of faulty clutches is a brand new box are not high so if this is the new box playing up the more likely fault is the drive plate.

Nope, never had this gearbox off - that's someone else! There is bu@@er all access to the bolt that attaches the gear cable... We have very difficult access to the weed hatch also. I HAD meant to get access panel cut into the trad stern at some point - obviously I wish that point had been last autumn! Will post a pic when I/boat and daylight co-incide again!

Sorry I haven't updated, looks like it is the clutch slipping... My wallet is flinching already! This is now on the shelf until after Crimble.... :-(

The 120D is out of production, so it might be worth contacting ASAP as sailor0500 did. He got a very good price! On their web site it's listed as discontinued but he got a PRM80 which is also listed as discontinued. I gues they have a few in stock somewhere!

Edited by mross

Nope, never had this gearbox off - that's someone else! There is bu@@er all access to the bolt that attaches the gear cable... We have very difficult access to the weed hatch also. I HAD meant to get access panel cut into the trad stern at some point - obviously I wish that point had been last autumn! Will post a pic when I/boat and daylight co-incide again!

Have you tried both ends of the cable?