Engine Size

Maverick

Featured Posts

You might find that engine designers are quite particular about the 60 degree cross hatch honing on a cylinder bore and go to some lengths to specify the profile of the surface. It does retain the oil film and is essential to the correct functioning of the piston rings, on all engines but especially on a racing engine.

Denis.

It has been shown that a totally flat smooth surface retains more oil than a textured one. That is probably why the likes of Yamaha always had highly polished chromium plated bores. These ideas change with every decade that passes.

I would be following Mr Hutch's example if I could work out a way of steam raising that was:

a. safeish

b. compact

c. fairly fuel efficient...

Ahh its not to bad! Your welcome to have a gander at what we've done as well.

- Geoff Laycocks 'whistling in the wind' on the leeds&liverpool is well worth a look as well in terms of fairly fresh way of laying it out. He's not a great steam man as yet, but a cracking good engineer and fitter and im sure he will learn the art of firing it sooner rather than later!!

Engineroom only takes up 10ft of cabin space in emilyanne as well, plus 3/4ft for coal and you away.

- Its not the most fuel effiecent machine invented by man, but at about 3 bags a day you can get about 12days out of a 3/4ton. Then just trailer some more down to wherever you are with the next batch of crew.

Daniel

*Swizzles is a sweet factory at New Mills on the Peak Forest. The canal got into the habit of leaking into the basement so BW built a continuous concrete channel past the place, very handy for giving your engine a bit of work to do as you pass.

^_^ swizzles were sort of hard chalky sweets on a stick that I remember buying on the way home from skule (in the 18th century, I hear you say :wacko: ). Do they still make them?

Edited by chris polley

^_^ swizzles were sort of hard chalky sweets on a stick that I remember buying on the way home from skule (in the 18th century, I hear you say :wacko: ). Do they still make them?

They certainly do, though I'm sure they've got smaller.

Drumsticks were always my favorites though, which I'm sure have got bigger.

Put a Lister SR2 in your boat. Cheap, indestructible, sounds nice, 20hp to satisfy the horse lovers and a bullet proof gearbox.

Best of all...air cooled.

Edited by carlt

They certainly do, though I'm sure they've got smaller.

Drumsticks were always my favorites though, which I'm sure have got bigger.

Put a Lister SR2 in your boat. Cheap, indestructible, sounds nice, 20hp to satisfy the horse lovers and a bullet proof gearbox.

Best of all...air cooled.

Erm...Shome mishtake shurely? ^_^

I think you'd need an SR3 for 20 hp.

An SR2 would be more than adequate for the job, though.

Tim

Erm...Shome mishtake shurely? ^_^

I think you'd need an SR3 for 20 hp.

An SR2 would be more than adequate for the job, though.

Tim

Yes of course. I was mixing up ST and SR powers. In my opinion the ST is a far inferior (but more powerful) boat engine.

Yes of course. I was mixing up ST and SR powers. In my opinion the ST is a far inferior (but more powerful) boat engine.

Agreed. So did a lot of people when the ST came out, which is why Listers brought out the Canalstar, basically (at the time) a reintroduced SR.

I know of one full-length butty which was motorised (30+ years ago) quite successfully using an SR2, it wouldn't win any races but it's still going.

Tim

Agreed. So did a lot of people when the ST came out, which is why Listers brought out the Canalstar, basically (at the time) a reintroduced SR.

I know of one full-length butty which was motorised (30+ years ago) quite successfully using an SR2, it wouldn't win any races but it's still going.

Tim

When my friend bought Clee and moved it from london to Banbury it had a little Ducati single which pushed it along reasonably. What was most impressive was that he didn't reprop it so the poor little engine was dragging round a 26" prop!

Big horses. Kelvin k series petrol start diesels have the advantage of 21 (22?) brake horsepower per cylinder, available in 1,2,3 or 4 cylinder versions. (The single i saw said 21bhp) 'i think you'll find' (anorakish voice) a lister sr3 is under 20hp at 19. Sabb gg would suit a 30ft nb.

Big horses. Kelvin k series petrol start diesels have the advantage of 21 (22?) brake horsepower per cylinder, available in 1,2,3 or 4 cylinder versions. (The single i saw said 21bhp) 'i think you'll find' (anorakish voice) a lister sr3 is under 20hp at 19. Sabb gg would suit a 30ft nb.

Don't these fancy-dan engine makers quote gross bhp to hype up their score? In which case the SR3 is 24,75bhp max gross and 19.5 at 2000rpm. The .5 makes it near enough 20 for me and plenty of oomph to stop and start my 62' wooden harborough marine. I've had a fair few boats with SR2's from 30' to 65' and it's always coped. I'd happily put an SR1 in a 30 footer and I've got a Petter PH1 waiting to go in Le Shack, one day which will be quite adequate.

Edited by carlt

The sr1 is 6.5 so yes 20 it is. My anorakish komment was an attempt at hewmer. I had a lister sr2 in a 32ft h&l 'marlin' from 1994-96 and abused it but its still going i believe. Wicked engines if a bit noisy. Ernie kendall reckoned air cooled listers were the right plan he once had "a fountain out of the exhaust of a jp2 " apparently. i suspect he knew a bit about the subject.

What's the Sabb 'gg'?

Is that the 2-cyl 'g'?

Singles were commonly fitted to boats around 30', 'Cheshire Plains' hire fleet & their partners in crime used them. A customer has a 40' boat with a Sabb single, had it for years & been everywhere with it & perfectly happy.

Not sure about 21 bhp/cyl being a great advantage on a narrow boat (unless you have only the one cylinder, of course ^_^ )

The J2 is much more of a narrow boat engine.

Tim

Totally agree on the kelvin j series/nb comment, my comment was on the trailer pic of a k3. Sabb gg is the gearbox version of the 10hp w/c single cyl rather than the variable pitch prop version. (have i got that right?) 2 cyl are the 2hg, 2g or the big 2j. I personally favour 'chosen' nb engines, like russell newbery for example (chosen by guccco). just my opinion.

I think you only need 1hp well thats what they used to have anyway

Well of cause you could say that.

- However of cause said "one horse" was standing on the towpath pulling, not powering a propellor and hence the energy was much more directly used.

- Also, they didnt tend to be small horses, and almost any house can 'kick out' considerably more than a horsepower for a short period of time (ie to get you started).

R. D. Stevenson and R. J. Wasserzug published an article in Nature 364, 195-195 (15 July 1993) calculating the upper limit to an animal's power output. The peak power over a few seconds has been measured to be as high as 14.9 hp. However, for longer periods an average horse produces less than one horsepower.

Ive not seen it myself (yet?) however im told that its well worth watching a horse taking on a loaded butty.

- My grandad explans having seen a horse with such a task taking up the slack in the tow rope, and then moving all four feet back 18inches, and leading... hard!

Thats quite a pull!!

Daniel