Leaking Thetford C-200 Cassette

PaulaJ

Featured Posts

Afternoon Everyone

I have just trawled though the old posts about leaking cassettes but I think my problem is slightly different so I hope you don't mind me raising it again.

I have 4 cassettes for my toilet, two are 4 years old and two are brand new. For some reason they are leaking - all 4 of them. I have recently been making sure that I lubricate the seals and this did seem to improve things for a couple of months but they have started leaking again.

I understand about the replacing of the seals but the brand new ones leak also?

Help - any advice is gratefully received.

Paula

I would think that if brand new ones are leaking then the retailer that sold them to you is responsible. I had Thetford toilets in both my boats and had no trouble at all with them leaking. The seals do go hard and then they can leak but all the seals are replaceable and you can get them from some chandlers or Thetford themselves online.

Afternoon Everyone

I have just trawled though the old posts about leaking cassettes but I think my problem is slightly different so I hope you don't mind me raising it again.

I have 4 cassettes for my toilet, two are 4 years old and two are brand new. For some reason they are leaking - all 4 of them. I have recently been making sure that I lubricate the seals and this did seem to improve things for a couple of months but they have started leaking again.

I understand about the replacing of the seals but the brand new ones leak also?

Help - any advice is gratefully received.

Paula

When you say leaking do you mean that they all leak when you are transporting them to the Elsan?

Or are you saying that no matter which cassette is in place there is always evidence of unwanted "stuff" on top of the cassettes when you take them out?

The latter would indicate a problem with the loo itself and not the cassettes - And that would indicate a problem with the seal between the bottom of the bowl and the outer case of the cassette

Thanks for your responses so far.

I find that it's leaked when I go to take the cassette out from under the toilet and it's in the divot where the handle is and where the pour out tube is.

I'm beginning to think along the lines of Barry's suggestion which is there may be a problem with the seal between the bottom of the bowl and the outer case of the cassette. I can't see an actual seal attached to the bowl and have been looking on line at diagrams but can't see any seals?

Paula

I find that it's leaked when I go to take the cassette out from under the toilet and it's in the divot where the handle is and where the pour out tube is.

I'm beginning to think along the lines of Barry's suggestion which is there may be a problem with the seal between the bottom of the bowl and the outer case of the cassette. I can't see an actual seal attached to the bowl and have been looking on line at diagrams but can't see any seals?

Paula

I think it can happen if you try and get as many days as possible out of a cassette. If that's the case it might be worth changing cassettes a day or so earlier - especially since you've got four

Paula

You are correct, there is no seal on the toilet itself, the seal is made by the seal in the cassette.

AFAIK, (but I haven't one to look at here), it only connects with the lower rim on the outlet from the bowl, so unless that has become damaged, (or maybe has a build up of lime-scale on it), I can't see how the problem can be with the loo.

I can't agree with Barry's suggestion that not filling the cassette so full will help - unless you are actually overfilling. Otherwise if the joint leaks, it will do so as you use the loo, irrespective of how full the tank is.

You are sure it is coming from the main seal, and not from either the pressure release valve, or the button you press when emptying? Those are all places a cassette could leak, if not kept maintained.

what toilet fluid are you using? Cheap blue will destroy seals.

More to the point, are you making sure that you don't get neat blue onto the seal at all?

Mrs M went through a phase where she would pop the blue into the bowl with the blade closed, because she saw the blue as being just like the stuff she uses to clean the loo at home. It took some effort to convince her that I was running out of money for new lip seals.

I have had the same problem with these. Can't use the trolley to wheel them as it will spill out. I gave up and my compost toilet gets here tomorrow so will see how I get on with one of those.

Seen one of those at close quarters (within limits) recently.

They are not as I had assumed they would be.

I was quite impressed

Blimey, all this talk of leaking Thetfords makes me think they can't be designed or manufactured very well. Surely no cassette should ever leak in situ? It's the last thing you want. My two 11 year old vacuflush cassettes are bruised and battered but they're still bulletproof and have never leaked.

Edited by blackrose

How can all four cassettes be leaking ? I have two in the boat ten years and have used three different ones in camper vans,one from 1994 and have never had any problem like what you have described that doesnt fall into one of the categories below . It sounds like you are using them incorrectly.

1. are you pushing them home so that they connect properly?

2. are you leaving the hatch open when you use them?

3. are you putting in toilet paper that may be getting trapped in the blade somewhere.?

4. are you overloading them.?

The chances of four of them [two new ones being defective] is extremely low with such a quality product.This has to be down to human error.

By the way, i am in no way affiliated with this or any other toilet manufacturer i just know a good sh*te box when i see one.huh.png

• Greenie 1