Photos of canal folk from the 1940's & 50's - Daily Mail

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

Since pedantry is the order of day I should point out is wasn't called RAY either.

JP

I don't know about that particular photo but he Stokes family worked the "Ovaltine" pair "Mimas" & "Ray"

Edited by X Alan W

According to a photo in a magazine "Coventry Frame by Frame" published by the Coventry Telegraph the young lady is Joyce Hewson.

Do you mean that is a later name she had after marriage. If you mean at the time Longden took the picture, then Hewson is not a name I recognise as a boating family, whereas the claim of Joyce Hambridge sounds entirely plausible, although I don't know which of the several Hambridge families she would have belonged to.

Is this the same "Ray" in the Troy Cut?

attachicon.gifTroycut023.jpg

attachicon.gifTroycut024.jpg

attachicon.gifTroycut020.jpg

I think the photo's are Chris Collins.

Yes that is the same "Ray" - It was originally a GUCCCO boat built by Walkers of Rickmansworth, and from memory was I think "Hebe" until purchase by Ovaltine. (My memory may be wrong, though!).

Do you mean that is a later name she had after marriage. If you mean at the time Longden took the picture, then Hewson is not a name I recognise as a boating family, whereas the claim of Joyce Hambridge sounds entirely plausible, although I don't know which of the several Hambridge families she would have belonged to.

Yes that is the same "Ray" - It was originally a GUCCCO boat built by Walkers of Rickmansworth, and from memory was I think "Hebe" until purchase by Ovaltine. (My memory may be wrong, though!).

No idea Alan, the photo and caption though:

No your memory hasn't failed you.

From NarrowBoat, Winter 2007: Ray entered fleet 01.1941 Registered at Rickmansworth as No 61 on 27.01.1941 Ex GUCCC (Hebe)

Edited by Ray T

I seem to have put an unnecessary double "g" in his name, but yes, he is still going strong. Slightly more recent than this topic and I may have put it on here before but he took this photo of us at Lock 80 with Towcester and Bude in 1973 while we had Bude on lease from BW before buying Stamford and Bude on tender. We inherited some of Tom and Ellen Humphries' lace plates with it, and still have the original table top in our shed somewhere from when we refurbished the cabin. It was also the time when the barrels were nice ethnic 40 gallon wooden ones - the limejuice came in steel drums the following year. The children are our two boys of course. Neither has flowing locks like that now - the younger one lost his when he became a Marine and the older one has a yacht repair business in Majorca where it is too hot for such frivolity. Mine still exist but are rather thinner, and Di's stopped being blond a long time ago.

attachicon.gif Towcester & Bude 1973 .jpg

What a great photo Tam, thanks for the posting.

Peter.

attachicon.gifJoyce Hewson.jpg

I think we need Jeanette! The canal families were generally so interwoven that there isn't a huge spread of surnames, and Hewson has no resonance with me as a boating family name, (not that I know them all of course!) Certainly the book identifies her as Hambridge, but Sonia made several mistakes, so nothing is guaranteed.

What a great photo Tam, thanks for the posting.

Peter.

Time to re-air this one maybe, then

File0684.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

Thanks Alan, that's a very nice one too, I was very pleased to see "Towcester" in real life, at the beginning of june this year in Braunston, and admired her condition.

Her actual owners Jules and Richard are a lovely couple too, I had a nice conversation with them while there.

Peter.

I think we need Jeanette! The canal families were generally so interwoven that there isn't a huge spread of surnames, and Hewson has no resonance with me as a boating family name, (not that I know them all of course!) Certainly the book identifies her as Hambridge, but Sonia made several mistakes, so nothing is guaranteed.

File0684.jpg

Hewson is not a name I have in my records of over 500 boating family's but that's not to say that there was never a Hewson boatman or family.

In the heyday boatmen came & went some only being boatmen for a short time when work elsewhere was scarce & between Census . The name you question is in the paper not the book so maybe they have made a mistake. I have always thought the picture in the book to be related to Mike & never looked into it poss being wrong . Eddie Hambridge had several write ups & photos about his family in Narrowboat over the years . An interesting point in another picture is the boat little Marvel this was David Hambridge boat before being sold to Barlows in May 1941 .I do have a name for the family in the picture on Little Marvel but need to find it in my records.

I seem to have put an unnecessary double "g" in his name, but yes, he is still going strong. Slightly more recent than this topic and I may have put it on here before but he took this photo of us at Lock 80 with Towcester and Bude in 1973 while we had Bude on lease from BW before buying Stamford and Bude on tender. We inherited some of Tom and Ellen Humphries' lace plates with it, and still have the original table top in our shed somewhere from when we refurbished the cabin. It was also the time when the barrels were nice ethnic 40 gallon wooden ones - the limejuice came in steel drums the following year. The children are our two boys of course. Neither has flowing locks like that now - the younger one lost his when he became a Marine and the older one has a yacht repair business in Majorca where it is too hot for such frivolity. Mine still exist but are rather thinner, and Di's stopped being blond a long time ago.

attachicon.gif Towcester & Bude 1973 .jpg

Cor' Tam, family & yourself look just like a 70's boaters clapping.gif

Edited by X Alan W

Tam & Di

when you come across the table top from Tom's boat could I please have a photo of it to show my Uncle Alf

who is the son from Toms first wife who was my Grandads sister. do you remember asking me several years back if I knew anything ref a lover Tom said he had in London. I know for sure now he was telling the truth but that's a story not to be told in a public forum.

I think boaters are supposed to wear a red and white spotted neckerchief aren't they?

when you come across the table top from Tom's boat could I please have a photo of it to show my Uncle Alf

We're back in the UK for a brief spell so I'll see what I can do. It's the one in the photo p50 of Hugh McKnight's book Canal & River Craft in Pictures. I think we let all the plates go when we moved out of the Toll House at Bull's Bridge about 15 years ago.

Edited by Tam & Di

Joyce Hewson.jpg

No your memory hasn't failed you.

From NarrowBoat, Winter 2007: Ray entered fleet 01.1941 Registered at Rickmansworth as No 61 on 27.01.1941 Ex GUCCC (Hebe)

Looks to me like she is imitating a sailing ships figurehead.

Sorry if someone pointed that out already I have not read every word of the thread.

I thought I'd better do it now or I'll probably forget. In fact it's not from Bude, which had a round mirror at the top; it's from Stamford, with a large rectangular mirror where the pictorial panel normally is. Both cabins were very tired looking when we got the pair. I seem to have a whole load of rubbish in the shed which I need to get rid of some time soon unsure.png

post-6882-0-29313100-1475927073_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tam & Di

I think boaters are supposed to wear a red and white spotted neckerchief aren't they?

And a collarless shirt with Brass Stud + waist coat, when I asked a well known boater many years back his reply was " Nah that's only for posers"

I thought I'd better do it now or I'll probably forget. In fact it's not from Bude, which had a round mirror at the top; it's from Stamford, with a large rectangular mirror where the pictorial panel normally is. Both cabins were very tired looking when we got the pair. I seem to have a whole load of rubbish in the shed which I need to get rid of some time soon unsure.png

attachicon.gifTable-ex-Stamford-red.jpg

Thank you so much Tam .I really appreciate this

I will be going up to Coventry later this Month so will show this to Uncle Alf .

If you ever decide to sell please let me know as it would be nice for Alf to have as a family memory .

Jeannette