Towing Butty long rope versus cross straps?

Featured Posts

Once I remember towing on cross straps through a bridge hole and an oncoming boat held back for me but then came ahead and collided with the butty. When I asked him what thought he was doing he said that he didn't mind waiting for one boat but wasn't going to let a second one follow me through as it was now his turn.

Once I remember towing on cross straps through a bridge hole and an oncoming boat held back for me but then came ahead and collided with the butty. When I asked him what thought he was doing he said that he didn't mind waiting for one boat but wasn't going to let a second one follow me through as it was now his turn.

Happened to me some years ago when loaded and on a long line. Never seen a boat so well stuck up on the offside mud (them not us).

Umbilical hmmm in our day bit of extension lead with a 240 socket coming out of the motors engine hole down the roof two turns round a dolly plug from butty carefully placed on motor fender... When breasted line used to go forwards into the butty in front of mast, consternation if fast single out required...how did we survive with our complete lack of elf and safety.

Oh and the faster we went the better the 240 charged, the generator being a bit old of a fairground engine, eventually there was a Big Bang.

Advanced regulator my...

Parke's two tugs 'LEO' and 'SULZER' towed three dumb boats regularly on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal coal run between Wigan and Liverpool. Empty two were always 'tight up' on cross straps and the third on a long line. Loaded all three on long lines.

Well absolutely.

The favourite was the lady whose argument was 'it's a good job I did the paintwork myself..... You've put me in the trees'...... I politely pointed out that as there was 4ft between them and the motor it was them who had put themselves in the trees and politely pointed out she had done a very good job on the paintwork.. at what point Mr. Boat pipes up with the age old 'I've been doing this longer than you, I've been on the cut 30 years' argument..... funnily enough they didn't win that argument either and insisted that I didn't look old enough to have been on the cut for 36 years..... when I pointed out he looked old enough to have been on it for 30 years they got in a huff and disappeared off in a flurry of revs.....