Butty " STAR"

X Alan W

Featured Posts

During one of the "Old F**t's" brain fade chinwags the topic of the motorised butty "Star" came up but sort of fizzled out through lack of info the known details ? Historic, converted before 1968 Metal hull, composite? motorised with Lister either SR2 or 3 that engine fitted by Jon Stothert at Shopshire Union Cruises before 68 & at that time owned by his father Max I seemed to go off the Shroppie radar around 1972/3& I have not seen any mention in recent years or post on Canal World Any one have any info? Thanks

I've seen this boat recently, either in the Cropredy or Shackerstone areas - unconverted (or deconverted) I think, but can't be sure.

Unless, of course, there are two working boats of that name.

You are probably thinking of the GUCCCo motor boat "Star", (the most aptly named of the so called "Star" class!), which is unconverted other than a small cabin extension.

That was never a butty, and is not the boat from the OP.

You are probably thinking of the GUCCCo motor boat "Star", (the most aptly named of the so called "Star" class!), which is unconverted other than a small cabin extension.

That was never a butty, and is not the boat from the OP.

Thanks Alan. Yes, I guess that would be the one. The name is akin to calling a Jubilee class locomotive 'Jubilee', but of course no one would have done that.

Edit: it passed us the weekend before last heading North towards Cropredy as we were en route to Banbury. Very smartly maintained it looked, too.

Edited by Athy

The name is akin to calling a Jubilee class locomotive 'Jubilee', but of course no one would have done that.

You are right - I'm not sure anybody ever did, did they? (There was a Jubilee class loco called Silver Jubilee, though!)

You could have suggested a Britannia class called Britannia, or a Coronation class called Coronation, or a Royal Scot class called Royal Scot, or a Patriot class called Patriot......

(But you didn't!)

There is an iron rivetted boat moored near me called star , it has the butty shaped rear end but not the original elum. I believe it was built in the early 30's.

ETA . The boat near me is 1929 john chrichton converted butty Star.

Edited by Rickent

You are right - I'm not sure anybody ever did, did they? (There was a Jubilee class loco called Silver Jubilee, though!)

You could have suggested a Britannia class called Britannia, or a Coronation class called Coronation, or a Royal Scot class called Royal Scot, or a Patriot class called Patriot......

(But you didn't!)

Of course not - I knew that I could rely on you.biggrin.png

(Gosh, what a clunker regarding Silver Jubilee....I must eat more fish paste sandwiches).

(But you didn't!)

Good Crewe tradition, there

Richard

"Star" is a ex Midlands & Coast horse boat built by Crichton (spelling wrong?) of Chester in 1929. She was absorbed into the FMC fleet. Only docking recorded was "Old Hill" (the old M&C base) in 1939, will check our photos but I am sure its still about.

During one of the "Old F**t's" brain fade chinwags the topic of the motorised butty "Star" came up but sort of fizzled out through lack of info the known details ? Historic, converted before 1968 Metal hull, composite? motorised with Lister either SR2 or 3 that engine fitted by Jon Stothert at Shopshire Union Cruises before 68 & at that time owned by his father Max I seemed to go off the Shroppie radar around 1972/3& I have not seen any mention in recent years or post on Canal World Any one have any info? Thanks

There is an iron rivetted boat moored near me called star , it has the butty shaped rear end but not the original elum. I believe it was built in the early 30's.

ETA . The boat near me is 1929 john chrichton converted butty Star.

The STAR detailed by 'X Alan W' is the same as the STAR mentioned above by 'Rickent', and was originally built for Midlands & Coast Canal Carriers Ltd., Wolverhampton. In 1938 STAR passed to Fellows Morton and Clayton Ltd., Birmingham and its B.C.N. gauge table shows it passing on again to Warburton & Co., Warrington.

STAR was acquired for a pleasure boat conversion around 1947 (I have 1947 and 1948 so take your pick) and then to Max Stothert around 1950 (I have 1949 and 1951 so take your pick). STAR's first engine as a pleasure boat was a 4 cylinder Hercules, followed shortly afterwards by a Austin petrol / paraffin engine. The Austin was subsequently replaced by a Lister SL3, and it appears this was its current engine when for sale in September 2015, when it was located at Barrow Upon Soar captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison