Prop only works for backwards travel

Featured Posts

Ah, Broken down today on Gloucester Sharpness nr Saul, put it into reverse to slow as approaching bridge, and then, no forward gear would engage, backwards is very responsive, nothing going forward at all. If i move the gear lever back and forth, it looks as though the cable is moving everything it should - What do i do to fix this? cheers, Mart

If you still have reverse and neutral, then it sounds like most/all of the gear control cable etc are there, but its either become loose or needs setting up again (maybe forwards was always marginal). Definitely worth (carefully) trying to engage forwards directly on the transmission to double check, then looking at the gearchange cable/lever and adjusting to make it work.

If you still have reverse and neutral, then it sounds like most/all of the gear control cable etc are there, but its either become loose or needs setting up again (maybe forwards was always marginal). Definitely worth (carefully) trying to engage forwards directly on the transmission to double check, then looking at the gearchange cable/lever and adjusting to make it work.

Happened to the Technodrive Tindisc box on the back of my Vetus a couple of weeks ago. Forward gear became "lazy" and a tweak of the remote cable cured it. Good advice given to me was to disconnect the remote and work the lever manually; does it engage forward then? KEEP CLEAR OF PROPSHAFT ETC!!!

Edited by Guest

I have a 3 pot sole diesel engine (Marinised Mitsubishi) couldnt tell you what gearbox type/manfacturer is - I dont know much about engines so guesing its time to rejoin RCR, I'm just hoping nothing expensive awaits

From memory the Sole also used technodrive at one point, so could be same as mine (and same problem.)

ps presumably oil level in gearbox is at correct level? They can spit their dummies out if under or over filled.

Edited by Guest

Thanks all, i guessed the gearbox oil was OK, because if it wasn't it would effect forward backward equally? I say Guess coz reaaly don't have a clue, I'd assume last person that serviced it checked it, but it due a service now

Should be a dipstick somewhere. 2 min job to check. Sometimes difficult to see oil on dipstick, so hold flat against a paper towel to see level. Oil could simply be knackered, especially if it uses ATF.

It would seem likely that oil probs. would affect both directions, but lesser likely things have happened.

Edited by Guest

Thanks all, i guessed the gearbox oil was OK, because if it wasn't it would effect forward backward equally? I say Guess coz reaaly don't have a clue, I'd assume last person that serviced it checked it, but it due a service now

If it is the little Technodrive with two cone clutches, the oil level won't make any difference. Is your gearbox red?

Richard

I have a 3 pot sole diesel engine (Marinised Mitsubishi) couldnt tell you what gearbox type/manfacturer is - I dont know much about engines so guesing its time to rejoin RCR, I'm just hoping nothing expensive awaits

Give us a couple of photos then. Someone should be able to identify the gearbox model.

Hi Martin

Suggest that you have the gearbox oil changed at each service; minimal extra expense in the grand scheme of things, and should improve reliability.

Always ask the engineer to show you where the basic stuff, like gearbox dipstick, are so that you can check for yourself. Don' forget that you are paying for their time, so make the most of it.

Steve Lacey, as already recommended, would be a good start.

Steve (Eeyore)

If it is the little Technodrive with two cone clutches, the oil level won't make any difference. Is your gearbox red?

Richard

I thought that, as it is a mechanical why would this matter (providing it had some oil in it?) Then I downloaded a manual for the TMC60 when mine was playing up and in the fault finding bit it cites incorrect oil level for some faults. I find this strange, but there we have it. Mine will be used as a mud weight in about two weeks; PRM going in.

Edited by Guest

I thought that, as it is a mechanical why would this matter (providing it had some oil in it?) Then I downloaded a manual for the TMC60 when mine was playing up and in the fault finding bit it cites incorrect oil level for some faults. I find this strange, but there we have it. Mine will be used as a mud weight in about two weeks; PRM going in.

Do you want a matching pair? I have a broken one here

Richard

Do you want a matching pair? I have a broken one here

Richard

Might be able to cobble one out of the two ;)

I heard a very interesting story this morning. It would appear that the cone taper used in the gearboxes in question had to be altered slightly in order not to break a copyright of another well known manufacturer. It was suggested that this slight alteration caused problems within. Fact or fiction? I know not.

First thing to try really is disconnecting cable and shoving the lever into fwd manually. I had a brand new Technodrive years ago, it had shims to get the endfloat right and it had been assembled with too many. It seized. It must cost x pounds to make and if only it was a bit more robust, i.e. x + a bit it could be a perfectly ok box yet they carry on making a frail thing.